Flow of charges in a conductor

In summary, a spherical conductor avoids the violation of the law of conservation of energy by allowing the Joule heat to dissipate. This takes about a microsecond.
abhiroop_k
in the case of a spherical conductor the charges reside on the surface...the electric field is perpendicular to this surface (radial) and no parallel component exists ,as it leads to the flow of charges across the surface...why is this flow not feasible i.e why does the parallel component vanish??..what is wrong with the charges flowing across the surface?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because charge flowing through the conductor (electric current) leads to the emission of Joule heat as a dissipative process. This process cannot be supported for indefinite time if no external energy sources compensate the energy loss. Thus, it is a non-equilibrium situation. In equilibrium, there should not be any electric current. According to Ohms law, there should not be a parallel electric field component.

to say the same thing again: if the charges are moving,...wait a moment. They'll reach equilibrium which, presumable, is what you're interested in if its an electrostatics problem.

Dickfore said:
Because charge flowing through the conductor (electric current) leads to the emission of Joule heat as a dissipative process. This process cannot be supported for indefinite time if no external energy sources compensate the energy loss. Thus, it is a non-equilibrium situation. In equilibrium, there should not be any electric current. According to Ohms law, there should not be a parallel electric field component.

okay...so this happens to avoid the violation of the law of conservation of energy??... if i have some mechanism by which i can compensate the heat loss will there exist a parallel component?

abhiroop_k said:
okay...so this happens to avoid the violation of the law of conservation of energy??... if i have some mechanism by which i can compensate the heat loss will there exist a parallel component?

Yes, just attach a battery via two wires connected to two points on the surface of the sphere.

abhiroop_k said:
in the case of a spherical conductor the charges reside on the surface...the electric field is perpendicular to this surface (radial) and no parallel component exists ,as it leads to the flow of charges across the surface...why is this flow not feasible i.e why does the parallel component vanish??..what is wrong with the charges flowing across the surface?
The charge will flow until the parallel E field vanishes. This takes about a microsecond.
Then E parallel is zero.

clem said:
The charge will flow until the parallel E field vanishes. This takes about a microsecond.
Then E parallel is zero.

what causes it to vanish?...i.e is it a field in the opposite direction?

The redistribution of the charges on the surface conductor is such that it makes the field satisfy the following two conditions:

1. There is no electric field in the body of the conductor, which according to Gauss's Law implies that there are no charges in the body of the conductor, i.e. they are all distributed on its surface;

2. There is no tangential component of the electric field to the surface. We know that the equipotential surfaces are always perpendicular to the electric field (because the electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential and the the gradient of a function is always perpendicular to the level surfaces of the function). Thus, the conducting surface is an equipotential surface, i.e. all point on the surface of a conductor are at the same potential.

thanks..

Related to Flow of charges in a conductor

1. What is the definition of "flow of charges" in a conductor?

The flow of charges in a conductor refers to the movement of electrons through a material. These electrons carry a negative charge and are responsible for the flow of electricity.

2. How does the flow of charges occur in a conductor?

The flow of charges in a conductor is a result of the movement of free electrons. These electrons are able to move freely within the material due to the presence of a potential difference, or voltage, across the conductor.

3. What factors affect the flow of charges in a conductor?

The flow of charges in a conductor is affected by several factors, including the material of the conductor, the temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material. Additionally, the amount of voltage applied and the resistance of the conductor also play a role in the flow of charges.

4. How is the flow of charges measured in a conductor?

The flow of charges in a conductor is measured using a unit called amperes (A), which represents the rate of flow of electric charge. This is commonly measured using an ammeter, which is connected in series with the conductor to measure the current flowing through it.

5. What is the difference between the flow of charges in a conductor and an insulator?

In a conductor, the flow of charges is high due to the presence of free electrons. In contrast, an insulator does not allow for the flow of charges because its electrons are tightly bound and not able to move freely. This is why conductors are used for electrical wiring, while insulators are used to prevent electric currents from flowing.