Solve Linear Momentum: An Explosion Problem and Find the Answer

In summary, the problem involves an explosion that breaks an object into two pieces, one with 1.5 times the mass of the other. The total energy released in the explosion is 7500 J. To solve the problem, conservation of momentum and energy must be taken into account, and the variables involved are the initial velocity of the object, the masses and velocities of the two pieces after the explosion.
pupatel
Here's another one that it giving me a lot of trouble...althought it looks easy, i have tried eveything i could to solve it...but still doesn't give me the right answer...

An explosion breaks an object into two pieces, one of which has 1.5 times the mass of the other. if 7500 J were released in the explosion, how much kinetic energy did each piece acquire?

How do i solve this and what is the answer? :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
pupatel said:
Here's another one that it giving me a lot of trouble...althought it looks easy, i have tried eveything i could to solve it...but still doesn't give me the right answer...

An explosion breaks an object into two pieces, one of which has 1.5 times the mass of the other. if 7500 J were released in the explosion, how much kinetic energy did each piece acquire?

How do i solve this and what is the answer? :cry:
Initially, the object has some energy, and after the explosion, the two pieces have a total (kinetic) energy 7500 J less than what the whole object had before. Also, momentum must be conserved, so the product of the total mass and initial velocity must equal the sum of the final masses and velocities.

The variables you'll be dealing with are [itex]v_1[/itex] (the initial velocity of the whole object), [itex]m_A[/itex] (the mass of the smaller piece after explosion), [itex]v_{2A}[/itex] (the velocity of the smaller piece after explosion), and [itex]v_{2B}[/itex] (the velocity of the larger piece after explosion).

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a measure of the quantity of motion of a moving object. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How is linear momentum conserved in an explosion?

In an explosion, the total linear momentum of the system remains constant. This means that the sum of the momentums of all objects before the explosion is equal to the sum of the momentums of all objects after the explosion.

3. What is an explosion problem in the context of linear momentum?

An explosion problem in the context of linear momentum involves analyzing the motion and momentum of objects before and after an explosion occurs.

4. How can I solve a linear momentum explosion problem?

To solve a linear momentum explosion problem, you will need to identify and analyze the initial and final momentums of all objects involved in the explosion. You can use the conservation of linear momentum principle to set up equations and solve for unknown variables.

5. What factors can affect the linear momentum of an object in an explosion?

The linear momentum of an object in an explosion can be affected by its mass, velocity, and direction of motion. Other factors such as external forces and collisions with other objects can also play a role.