Help with choosing a topic for my religion paper

In summary, the conversation explored various ideas for a paper on religion and social and ethical issues. Suggestions included the practice of baptism in different denominations, the history of the Adventist Church's relationship with Hitler, the current events in Iraq from a Christian and ethical perspective, the problem of evil, and the future and changing nature of religion. Another proposal was to study the balance between religious freedom and social accountability, using historical and current events as examples. The conversation ended with the suggestion to write about the struggles of Jehovah's Witnesses for their freedom or the impact of European trade after Martin Luther's expression of his thoughts.
Chem818
Well.. I need to write a paper about a topic on religion and social and ethical issues regarding religion. I've thought about writing about the practice of baptism in the Adventist Church and other denominations. Not sure about that yet. The proposal is due next week and I'm running behind on compiling my preliminary bibliography. Anyway... any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why, hello Chem818 and welcome to physicsforums... what a freaky avatar you have.

to spout off ideas at you:

*the adventist church in germany supported adolf hitler... at first. perhaps, writing a paper on the history of that and how and why they changed their minds later on (if they did at all.. which i think they did, but I am not sure.- well, hey! find out! ha.) and the ethical or unethical implications of it all etc.

*an analysis on the current events in iraq from a religious(christian) and ethical perspective?

*the problem of evil?

well. the possibilities are endless.

goodluck.

The future of religion?
The current trends regarding extremism and moderatism?
The beginning of organised religion?
Should religion change?

I propose a study entitled:

'Religious freedom vs Social accountability - getting the balance'

taking a historical view right up to and quoting recent news articals concerning the various conflicts that have arisen between the two. For your conclusion discuss the stances your society has taken and why.

Just the good old idea factory:)

why don,t you write about the struggles of the Jehovah's Witnesses in order to get theie freedom or you can write on the impact of Eurpoean Trade after Martin Luther expressed his thoughts.

What are some tips for choosing a topic for my religion paper?

When choosing a topic for your religion paper, consider your personal interests and the purpose of the paper. It can also be helpful to brainstorm ideas with classmates or consult with your professor for suggestions. Additionally, researching current events or controversial issues within a particular religion can provide inspiration for a topic.

How can I ensure that my chosen topic is appropriate for a religion paper?

To ensure that your topic is appropriate for a religion paper, make sure it aligns with the course's objectives and is relevant to the subject matter. It is also important to consider the sensitivity of the topic and to approach it with respect and an open mind.

Can I choose a topic that is not related to a specific religion?

Yes, you can choose a topic that is not specific to a particular religion, but still relates to the study of religion. For example, you could explore the role of religion in society or compare and contrast different religious beliefs and practices.

What sources should I use when researching my chosen topic?

When researching your chosen topic, it is important to use credible sources such as academic journals, books, and reputable websites. You can also consult with religious leaders or experts in the field for additional insights and perspectives.

How can I make my religion paper stand out?

To make your religion paper stand out, consider incorporating personal experiences or observations, using engaging language and examples, and thoroughly analyzing and critically evaluating your topic. It can also be helpful to discuss your paper with your professor or peers for feedback and suggestions.