Flatbed truck going round a circular road on an incline

In summary, the student is having trouble understanding the algebra involved in the solution to the homework problem. They uploaded the solution to the problem, but are not getting the results they expect.
whdahl

Homework Statement

The problem statement is in the attachments.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I uploaded the solution to the problem. I have had no trouble deriving the first two equations for the summation of forces in the x, n and t directions, however I am having trouble understanding the algebra involved in the solution, specifically where it says, "Solve the first two equations for N and Fn to obtain:", then it lists the equations for N and Fn. I can't figure out how they derived those two equations for N and Fn from the first two equations.
flatbed-1.JPG
flatbed-1.JPG
flatbed-2.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve the first two equations for N and Fn to obtain:", then it lists the equations for N and Fn. I can't figure out how they derived those two equations for N
... they did exactly what was described - they too the first two equations... these were:
$$N\cos(10^\circ)-F_{n'}\sin(10^\circ) - mg = 0\\
F_{n'}\cos(10^\circ) + N\sin(10^\circ) = m\frac{2t^2}{30}$$ ... do you not know how to solve simultaneous equations?

I know how to solve simultaneous equations, but I am not getting the solution they show in this case. Solving one of the equations for Fn or N and substituting that in the second equation will allow you to eliminate one of the variables. However I am not getting the solutions they provide, I am getting jumbles of sin squared's over cosines and tangents...

Last edited:
Please show your working.

I don't see where my mistake is, but I've ended up with an extra [tex]cos(10)[/tex] in the final answer.

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 439
Literally the moment I sent that, I found my mistake. I did not carry the [tex]\frac{mgsin10}{cos10}[/tex] over correctly.

Well done.
Note: if you put a backslash before the name of the trig function in LaTeX, it will typeset properly.
$$\frac{mg\sin\theta}{\cos\theta}=mg\tan\theta$$

Related to Flatbed truck going round a circular road on an incline

1. How does the incline of the road affect the flatbed truck's movement?

The incline of the road affects the flatbed truck's movement by creating a force of gravity that pulls the truck downwards. This force must be counteracted by the engine's power in order for the truck to maintain its speed and move forward.

2. Can a flatbed truck safely navigate a circular road on an incline?

Yes, a flatbed truck can safely navigate a circular road on an incline as long as the driver is properly trained and the truck is in good working condition. The driver must also adjust their speed and use proper techniques to maintain control of the vehicle on the incline.

3. How does the weight of the cargo affect the flatbed truck's movement on an incline?

The weight of the cargo on the flatbed truck can significantly impact its movement on an incline. The heavier the cargo, the more force is required from the engine to counteract the force of gravity. This can result in slower speeds and more strain on the truck's engine.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when driving a flatbed truck on an incline?

When driving a flatbed truck on an incline, it is important to follow all traffic laws and speed limits. The driver should also be aware of their surroundings and adjust their speed accordingly. It is also recommended to regularly check the brakes and tires for any signs of wear and tear.

5. How does the shape of the circular road affect the flatbed truck's movement on an incline?

The shape of the circular road can have a significant impact on the flatbed truck's movement on an incline. If the road has a steep incline or sharp turns, it can be more challenging for the truck to maintain its speed and control. In some cases, the driver may need to use lower gears or make wider turns to safely navigate the road.