Flashlight battery - internal resistance?

In summary, a flashlight battery does have an internal resistance due to the chemical reactions taking place inside it. This internal resistance affects the voltage of the battery and can be calculated using Ohm's Law.
ll1111

Homework Statement

does a flashlight battery have an internal resistance? explain.

this problem is for my lab, and we are farther ahead in lab than in lecture. so i haven't actually learned this material yet.

Homework Equations

i'm not really sure.

R=∆V/I
also,
-VB + VR + VM + VInt = 0
but i don't think that's relevant here at all.
it's more of a conceptual question i assume.

The Attempt at a Solution

well... as i said, we haven't actually learned this material. all i know is that our TAs told us that our battery in the lab had an internal resistance affecting its voltage. i don't really understand what being a flashlight would have to do with the workings of the battery.

if anyone could help me to understand how i should go about finding my answer, that'd be wonderful. thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow student,

Yes, a flashlight battery does have an internal resistance. This internal resistance is a result of the chemical reactions happening inside the battery, which cause the battery to have a finite amount of resistance to the flow of current.

To understand this concept further, let's look at Ohm's Law, which states that the current (I) in a circuit is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). In the case of a flashlight battery, the voltage and resistance values are not fixed, as they are affected by the internal resistance of the battery.

When a circuit is connected to a battery, the voltage measured across the battery terminals will be less than the actual voltage of the battery due to the voltage drop across the internal resistance. This can be seen in the second equation you mentioned, where the voltage drop across the battery (VB) is equal to the sum of the voltage drops across the external resistance (VR), the measuring device (VM), and the internal resistance (VInt).

So, in short, the internal resistance of a flashlight battery affects its voltage and can be calculated using the above equation. I hope this helps you understand the concept better and good luck with your lab!

Related to Flashlight battery - internal resistance?

1. What is internal resistance in a flashlight battery?

Internal resistance in a flashlight battery refers to the amount of resistance that the battery's materials have to the flow of electric current. This resistance is caused by the battery's chemical reactions and can decrease the overall voltage and power output of the battery.

2. How does internal resistance affect the brightness of a flashlight?

The internal resistance of a flashlight battery can decrease the brightness of the light by reducing the voltage and power output. This means that as the battery's internal resistance increases, the flashlight will become dimmer and may eventually stop working.

3. Can the internal resistance of a flashlight battery be measured?

Yes, the internal resistance of a flashlight battery can be measured using a multimeter. The multimeter can be set to measure resistance and then the probes can be placed on the positive and negative terminals of the battery to determine its internal resistance.

4. What factors can affect the internal resistance of a flashlight battery?

The internal resistance of a flashlight battery can be affected by a number of factors, including the type and quality of the battery, its age, temperature, and the amount of charge it holds. Higher quality and newer batteries tend to have lower internal resistance.

5. How can the internal resistance of a flashlight battery be reduced?

The internal resistance of a flashlight battery can be reduced by using a higher quality battery, ensuring it is fully charged, and keeping it at an optimal temperature. Additionally, using thicker or shorter wires can also help reduce the overall resistance in the circuit and improve the performance of the flashlight.