Five point scheme Finite Difference Method

In summary, the conversation discusses different possible forms of the five point scheme for the Poisson equation, and suggests using a rotated grid or a grid with alternating red and black points for the equations. The effectiveness of these approaches in practice is uncertain and may depend on the specific application.
sigh1342
For possion equation $$u_{xx}+u_{yy}=f$$
I know the general five point scheme is in the form
$$a_{1}U_{i,j-1}+a_{2}U_{i-1,j}+a_{3}U_{i,j}+a_{4}U_{i+1,j}+a_{5}U_{i,j+1}=f_{i,j}$$
But , is there have the form
$$a_{1}U_{i-1,j-1}+a_{2}U_{i-1,j+1}+a_{3}U_{i,j}+a_{4}U_{i+1,j+1}+a_{5}U_{i+1,j-1}=f_{i,j}$$?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be easy enough to invent one. Just approximate ##U_{i-1,j} = (U_{i-1,j-1}+U_{i-1,j+1})/2## etc.

Whether that would be any good in practice is another question, of course.

Alternatively, imagine your grid is rotated through 45 degrees, and use your original formula with ##h## replaced by ##h\sqrt 2##.

One feature of it would be: color the grid points red and black, in a pattern like a chess board. Except for the boundary conditions, you have one set of equations linking only the red points, and another set linking only the black points.

That may or may not be a good thing, depending on what use you make of it.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

Related to Five point scheme Finite Difference Method

What is the Five Point Scheme Finite Difference Method?

The Five Point Scheme Finite Difference Method is a numerical method used in solving partial differential equations. It involves dividing the domain into a grid and using Taylor series expansions to approximate the derivatives at each point on the grid. This method is particularly useful for solving problems in fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and other areas of physics and engineering.

How does the Five Point Scheme Finite Difference Method work?

The method works by first discretizing the domain into a grid, with each point on the grid being a node. Next, the Taylor series expansions of the derivatives at each node are substituted into the original differential equation. This results in a system of linear equations, which can then be solved iteratively to obtain an approximate solution to the original problem.

What are the advantages of using the Five Point Scheme Finite Difference Method?

One of the main advantages of this method is its simplicity. It is relatively easy to implement and can be applied to a wide range of problems. Additionally, it can handle non-uniform and irregular grids, making it a versatile numerical method for solving differential equations.

What are the limitations of the Five Point Scheme Finite Difference Method?

While the Five Point Scheme Finite Difference Method is a useful tool for solving partial differential equations, it does have some limitations. It may not be accurate for highly non-linear problems, and the accuracy of the solution is dependent on the grid size and spacing. It also requires a significant amount of computing resources for larger and more complex problems.

How is the accuracy of the Five Point Scheme Finite Difference Method evaluated?

The accuracy of the method can be evaluated by comparing the results to analytical solutions, if available, or by varying the grid size and analyzing the convergence behavior. Additionally, it is important to ensure that the solution is physically meaningful and does not violate any physical laws or principles.