First Year Physics: Is My Study Plan Effective?

In summary: However, if you struggle with harder problems, don't worry. You can always come back to them later. MIT's open courseware videos are a good place to start. Walter Lewin is a great teacher. Additionally, there are many forums where you can ask questions.
Jacobalg
This is my first year taking a physics course and i am taking calculus based physics. My study plan so far has been writing detailed notes from the book and each section would take me a good hour. I have not done the practice problems just yet as i have two more sections to finish. Is this wasting time ? if so what method should i use?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Make notes for a section.
2. do the problems for that section.
3. Move to next section.
4. Watch MIT's open courseware videos. They are good. Walter Lewin is a champ.
5. Ask questions on the forums for additional help.

Don't forget to ask your professor for help too. And ask around about study groups.IMO, for efficiency, I would focus on topics which are your weakest. If you know how to do vector addition, don't worry about notes and problems for that section. Focus on what you have trouble with.

me to

i am doing my undergraduate in physics in a reputed university in India
i don't no what my possibilities are ?
help me to get a internship so that i have more of a professional knowledge

Jacobalg said:
This is my first year taking a physics course and i am taking calculus based physics. My study plan so far has been writing detailed notes from the book and each section would take me a good hour. I have not done the practice problems just yet as i have two more sections to finish. Is this wasting time ? if so what method should i use?

I don't really take notes from the textbook. I usually read the chapter before the lecture and take notes of whatever the professor says that wasn't in the textbook. That makes my work much more efficient.

IMHO, taking notes for physics is a waste of time. I think taking notes is more appropriate for a biology course where you have to absorb a lot of information. Here, the amount of information is sparse, what's important is your interpretation of that information.

By the way, taking notes can mean lots of things. The type of note-taking I do is copying the mathematical derivations and thinking them through along with the author. That type of note taking I would say is quite nice.

What I would do is try to masticate these ideas in every way possible. Whenever you have a wrong approach to a problem, prove why this approach was incorrect. In my experience, I can't stress enough how important right-interpretation is. Also, do lots of problems.

Good luck.

If you have a competent instructor there is no need to take detailed notes from a book. In fact, I would say that would detract from your learning experience. Your notes should consist mostly of what was discussed in lecture. Reading the book comes next but only to reinforce what was taught in lecture (you mostly skim it or read it if it doesn't take too long).

In physics, problems are emphasized more (at least where I attend school) primarily because that is how you will learn the actual physics. Do easy problems, and once you build up your competence (i.e. confidence in understanding) of the easier problems you should tackle the harder problems.

Related to First Year Physics: Is My Study Plan Effective?

What is the best study plan for first year physics?

The best study plan for first year physics will vary from person to person, as everyone learns in different ways. However, a good study plan should involve regular review of material, practice with problem solving, and seeking help when needed.

How much time should I spend studying for first year physics?

The amount of time you should spend studying for first year physics depends on your individual learning style and how comfortable you are with the material. As a general guideline, it is recommended to spend 2-3 hours studying for every hour of class time.

Should I focus more on theory or problem solving in my study plan?

Both theory and problem solving are important components of first year physics. It is important to have a solid understanding of the concepts and principles, but also to be able to apply them to solve problems. Your study plan should incorporate both aspects to ensure a well-rounded understanding of the material.

How often should I review material in my study plan?

Regular review of material is crucial in first year physics. It is recommended to review material after each class, and then set aside time for weekly or bi-weekly review sessions to reinforce your understanding of the material.

Is it beneficial to study in groups for first year physics?

Studying in groups can be beneficial for first year physics, as it allows for discussion and collaboration with your peers. However, it is important to also spend some individual study time to ensure you have a solid understanding of the material on your own.