First Year Forced Oscillator Problem

In summary, the mass will vibrate with an amplitude of 0.500 m if the frequency of the force oscillating with an amplitude of 1.77 N is either 1.2 kHz or 2.4 kHz.
Eugene Kelly

Homework Statement

Damping is negligible for a 0.164 kg mass hanging from a light 6.70 N/m spring. The system is driven by a force oscillating with an amplitude of 1.77 N. At what frequency will the force make the mass vibrate with an amplitude of 0.500 m? There are two possible solutions, enter one of them.

Homework Equations

I think I have too use A=(F/m)/((w^2-w0^2)^2+(bw/m)^2)^1/2 where w is omega.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I am having is understanding this equation because b is not given and I do not know what that different angular frequencies stand for or if I can use w=(k/m)^1/2. Solving it isn't a problem I just can't understand the equation, my prof did a terrible time explaining it and my text isn't making sense too me. Thank you too whomever in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Either solve the ODE for displacement amplitude with zero damping and a forcing function of F(t) = A sin(wt), or look it up in your textbook or elsewhere. This is a 2nd order linear ODE with a forcing function and no initial conditions. Solve the usual way, or look the answer up in your textbook or elsewhere.
2. That gives you amplitude as a function of F,m,k and w (w=2 pi f). Set this to the given amplitude.
3. Solve for w. Note that there are two possible answers for w since A can be either + or - . What do the two frequencies correspond to in terms of the physics of the problem?

Related to First Year Forced Oscillator Problem

1. What is a First Year Forced Oscillator Problem?

A First Year Forced Oscillator Problem is a physics problem commonly encountered in introductory physics courses, specifically in the study of oscillations and vibrations. It involves a mass attached to a spring that is forced to oscillate by an external force.

2. What are the key components of a First Year Forced Oscillator Problem?

The key components of a First Year Forced Oscillator Problem include the mass, the spring, and the external force. The mass and spring are used to create the oscillations, while the external force adds an additional element to the problem.

3. What is the equation used to solve a First Year Forced Oscillator Problem?

The equation commonly used to solve a First Year Forced Oscillator Problem is the second-order differential equation known as the harmonic oscillator equation: m * d2x/dt2 + kx = F(t), where m is the mass, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement, and F(t) is the external force as a function of time.

4. How do you solve a First Year Forced Oscillator Problem?

To solve a First Year Forced Oscillator Problem, you can use the harmonic oscillator equation and apply appropriate initial conditions. This can be done analytically or numerically using computer software. You can also use the principles of energy conservation to solve the problem.

5. What are some real-world applications of First Year Forced Oscillator Problems?

First Year Forced Oscillator Problems have many real-world applications, including the study of vibrations in mechanical systems such as bridges, buildings, and vehicles. They are also used in the design and analysis of musical instruments, as well as in electrical circuits with capacitors and inductors.