First Order Transients, RC circcuit response DC voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around considering R and R1 as parallel when the switch is closed at t=0. One hypothesis is to treat it as a Thevenin circuit and short circuit VS, in order to find the time constant for the RC network. This would require determining the equivalent resistance that the capacitor "sees" in the network.
Verris
Member advised to use the provided formatting template when starting a new thread in a homework forum.
upload_2017-10-16_10-12-35.png
So this is an example given to me in one of the guides. I am somewhat confused as to why R and R1 are considered parallel when the switch is closed at t=0.
I thought that the two resistors cannot be parallel since there is a voltage source between them.
One hypothesis I had was to treat it like a thevenin circuit and short circuit VS, but I'm not sure if that's a correct assumption.
Would really appreciate some insight as to why they are considered parallel, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Verris,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

In future please be sure to use the provided formatting template when posting homework help requests in the homework forums. This is explained in the forum guidelines which you were invited to read when you joined.

Verris said:
I thought that the two resistors cannot be parallel since there is a voltage source between them.
One hypothesis I had was to treat it like a thevenin circuit and short circuit VS, but I'm not sure if that's a correct assumption.
Your Thevenin idea has merit. In this situation you need to find the time constant for the RC network, and to do that you will want to know what equivalent resistance the capacitor "sees". So treat the capacitor as the load of the network and find the Thevenin equivalent that drives it.

Related to First Order Transients, RC circcuit response DC voltage

1. What is a first order transient in an RC circuit?

A first order transient is a type of response that occurs when a sudden change in voltage is applied to a capacitor in an RC circuit. This results in an exponential decay or growth of the voltage, depending on the direction of the change.

2. How do you calculate the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant (represented by the symbol tau, τ) of an RC circuit is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads. Mathematically, τ = RC.

3. What factors affect the response of an RC circuit?

The response of an RC circuit is affected by the values of the resistance and capacitance, as well as the initial voltage across the capacitor and the direction of the change in voltage. Additionally, the type and quality of the components used in the circuit can also impact the response.

4. How does the DC voltage affect the response of an RC circuit?

The DC voltage, or the steady voltage applied to the circuit, determines the initial voltage across the capacitor. This initial voltage then affects the rate of change and the final voltage reached during the transient response.

5. Can an RC circuit have multiple transients?

Yes, an RC circuit can have multiple transients if there are multiple changes in the applied voltage. Each change will result in a new transient response, with the final voltage of the previous transient becoming the initial voltage for the next one.