First Order Transient: RC Circuit

In summary, the conversation is about finding Vc(t) in a circuit with a capacitor. The person is unsure about finding the equivalent resistance and time constant of the circuit, and asks for help in finding the Thévenin equivalent before or after t=0.
jclay06

Homework Statement

http://i.thespiffylife.com/files/1/trans1.jpg

i have to find Vc(t)

Homework Equations

I know that Vc(0+) = Vc(0) = Vc(0-) and Vc = Vs*e^(-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm unsure on is what the equivalent resistance of the circuit would be so I could find the time constant. I know since the Capacitor is fully charged it now behaves as a voltage source, but for any nodal / mesh equation I come up with I'm always one equation short of having equal unknowns & equations.
So ... any help on how to find the Req would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jclay06 said:

Homework Statement

http://i.thespiffylife.com/files/1/trans1.jpg

i have to find Vc(t)

Homework Equations

I know that Vc(0+) = Vc(0) = Vc(0-) and Vc = Vs*e^(-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm unsure on is what the equivalent resistance of the circuit would be so I could find the time constant. I know since the Capacitor is fully charged it now behaves as a voltage source, but for any nodal / mesh equation I come up with I'm always one equation short of having equal unknowns & equations.
So ... any help on how to find the Req would be nice.

Find the Thévenin equivalent around the capacitor.

EDIT: Before, or after t=0? Which will affect the time constant?

Last edited by a moderator:

I would suggest approaching this problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable steps. First, let's review the basics of RC circuits. A first order RC circuit is a circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) in series. When a voltage (Vs) is applied to the circuit, the capacitor begins to charge and the voltage across the capacitor (Vc) increases. This increase in voltage is not instantaneous, but rather follows an exponential curve. The time it takes for the voltage to reach a certain percentage (usually 63.2%) of its final value is known as the time constant (τ) and is equal to the product of the resistance and capacitance (τ = RC).

Now, to solve for Vc(t), we can use the equation Vc = Vs*e^(-t/RC). However, as you mentioned, we need to know the equivalent resistance (Req) of the circuit in order to find the time constant. In this case, we can find Req by using the parallel resistance formula, which states that the reciprocal of the equivalent resistance is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of the individual resistances (1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2). In this circuit, the 10kΩ resistor and the 10kΩ resistor are in parallel, so we can use this formula to find the equivalent resistance:

1/Req = 1/10kΩ + 1/10kΩ = 2/10kΩ
Req = 5kΩ

Now, we can use this value of Req to find the time constant:

τ = RC = (5kΩ)(10μF) = 50ms

Finally, we can use the equation Vc = Vs*e^(-t/RC) to solve for Vc(t) at any given time t.

I hope this explanation helps you to better understand how to approach this problem. Remember to always break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps and to use the appropriate equations and formulas. Good luck with your homework!

Related to First Order Transient: RC Circuit

1. What is a First Order Transient: RC Circuit?

A First Order Transient: RC Circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) in series. This circuit is used to analyze the transient response of a system to an input signal. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as amplifiers, filters, and oscillators.

2. How does a First Order Transient: RC Circuit work?

In a First Order Transient: RC Circuit, the capacitor stores energy in the form of an electric charge. When an input signal is applied, the capacitor begins to charge or discharge according to the time constant of the circuit, which is determined by the values of R and C. The resistor controls the rate of charge or discharge of the capacitor, resulting in a gradual change in the output signal.

3. What is the time constant of a First Order Transient: RC Circuit?

The time constant of a First Order Transient: RC Circuit is the time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its maximum value. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and the capacitance (C) in the circuit, represented by the symbol τ (tau).

4. How does the input signal affect the behavior of a First Order Transient: RC Circuit?

The input signal determines the voltage or current that is applied to the circuit. This signal can be in the form of a step, ramp, or pulse. The behavior of the circuit depends on the type and magnitude of the input signal. Different input signals will result in different transient responses, which can be analyzed using the First Order Transient: RC Circuit model.

5. What are the applications of a First Order Transient: RC Circuit?

First Order Transient: RC Circuits are commonly used in electronic devices to control the timing and amplitude of signals. They are also used in filters to remove unwanted frequencies from a signal. Additionally, they are used in power supplies to regulate the output voltage. They are also used in control systems to analyze the transient response of a system and make adjustments accordingly.