Having login problems? Try this.

• Thread starter damgo
  • Start date
In summary, there were issues with the server being too busy and login problems for some users. The quick solution was to delete the PF cookie on your computer or to go to the control panel and turn off automatic login. The long-term solution was to turn off "Automatically login when you return" and leave "Browse board with cookies" on. The registration activation problem has been fixed. There may still be some issues with cookies and some users may have to manually delete them. Additionally, there are some issues with having to log in again when using multiple browser windows.
damgo
'Server too busy'/login problems? Try this.

Keep getting a 'server too busy' message?

Quick solution: delete the PF cookie on your computer. In IE you can do Tools->Internet Options->Delete Cookies. This will delete all your cookies; if you know how to it's best to go to your cookies directory and delete any with "physicsforums" in the filename.

Long-term solution: To not have to keep doing the above, go to your control panel->edit options and turn "Automatically login when you return (uses cookies)" OFF. You can leave "Browse board with cookies" ON.

--- [old] ---
I'm guessing the reason there are no posts is because everyone is having the same problem I was... the forum keeps demanding you login, over and over. If so, this worked for me:

Get to your user profile screen -- click the "user cp" button up top. It'll let you in after you enter the right login information. Then set "browse the board using cookies" to off and update your information. It'll ask you to login, again, after that; but then you will hopefully be logged in within that window, and be able to post(your URLs will have a
Code:
?s=45432bunchofstuff3234
after them.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
we are aware of the current problems and are working on a solution. in the meantime please try damgo's suggestion. we apologize for this great inconvience.

the registration activation problem has been fixed, can someone verify?

Works for me w/cookies now. There were some old links to the modwest (test?) server when I registered this afternoon... did you get those?

oh btw, to activate your accounts prior to a few minutes ago you'll need to replace pf.modwest.com with www.physicsforums.com in that url sent to your email.

damgo, I'm not sure I understand you.

Forum works for me with "browse using cookies" set now; it didn't before. I guess you fixed the email thing, which was my question...

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
the registration activation problem has been fixed, can someone verify?
I tried, and everything is alright (for me at least :smile:).

A couple of times, I got an error saying that there was an incorrect response from the server. Is that because of PF2 still being alive on some cache?

I was having problems, but they seem to be fixed

I was having some problem with a "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later." message being posted but I reloaded the page a couple of times and it went through.

I think there is some confusion about the fact that you can still log on with your user name and password but not actually post so I was in and out, in and out again not realising what was going on. I had the same message straight after I 'thought' I had registered the first time and figured out the cookie thing myself.

Hopefully the problem will only be a problem for people who tried to register early on. I'm pretty sure old members will be persistent and eventually get back in.

Raavin

Ok Greg. I fixed the link to activate my account and it worked. I'm in.

Thanks!

Still seems to be a problem with cookies. Probably important that you take the 'log out' advice unless you want to continually manually delete the cookie.

Raavin

I realized that I had to "activate" my account after [frustratingly] trying to reply several times to a post. Then I thought I better check the email that sends out as soon as you register. Now my heart is beating, and a I can breathe again. Oh yeah, and PF is working, yay
:wink:

Tuesday afternoon, and am able to post at last. The forum was down for me all of yesterday, and the rest of the time I wasn't able to post.
It's good to be back.

Greetings !

Greg, there's sometimes a repeating trouble with
the log on - the forum asks for me to log on again.
Also, if you push "back" in your browser - to the
screens before you logged on then you have to do
it again. Further more, I'm using two browser windows
at the same time and I have to log on in each of them
separately.
This stuff didn't happen in PF2, I hope it's possible
to take care of this in the future.
Thanks !

"Does dice play God ?"

Live long and prosper.

1. Why can't I login to my account?

There could be several reasons for login problems. Make sure you are entering the correct login credentials, including your username and password. Also, check if your internet connection is stable and try clearing your browser's cache and cookies.

2. I forgot my password, how can I reset it?

If you have forgotten your password, click on the "Forgot password" link on the login page. You will be prompted to enter your email address and an email will be sent with instructions on how to reset your password.

3. Why am I getting an error message when trying to login?

Error messages can occur due to various reasons such as incorrect login credentials, server issues, or maintenance on the website. If you are receiving an error message, try refreshing the page or waiting a few minutes and trying again.

4. I am unable to login on my mobile device, what should I do?

If you are having trouble logging in on your mobile device, make sure you have a stable internet connection and try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. Also, try using a different browser or updating your current browser to the latest version.

5. Can I have multiple accounts with the same login credentials?

No, each account must have its own unique login credentials. If you are trying to login with the same credentials for multiple accounts, you will encounter login problems. Make sure to create a separate account for each user with their own unique login information.