Starting algebra and I have a problem.

• Thread starter Oochy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with learning combination of terms equations and how to solve it using algebraic manipulation. The problem is broken down step by step to show how to solve for x. The conversation also clarifies the concept of x - 2x and explains why it equals -x. Lastly, it is noted that there may be a mistake in the original equation.
Oochy
Okay, maybe I just totally missed somthing somewhere, but I encountered a problem while learning "Combination of Terms Equations".

Here is how they work the problem:

6x - 2x + 6 = x -2x -16
4x + 6 = -x + 16
-6 + -6
-------------------
4x = -x + 10
+x = +x
---------------
5x = 10
5x = 10
5----5
---------------
x = 2

Now, can you explain how they did this? What happened to the '2' and where did the negitive 'X' come from, etc?? Show me how to work this please, because they don't. It seems like they're pulling numbers out of thin air. :grumpy:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
no, they're doing algebraic manipulation:

i have three times a number, say and i add five times the same number to it, what do i have? 8 times the same number: 3x+5x=(3+5)x=8x

now you say what happened to the 2, well, i can see 3 of them in there, which one do you mean?

just treat x as a number and manipulate it according to the rules of arithmetic

6x - 2x + 6= x - 2x - 16

6x - 2x = 4x and x - 2x = -x therefore we can reduce our equation to:

4x + 6 = -x + 16

add -6 to both sides (i.e. takeaway 6 from both sides)

4x = -x + 10

add x to both sides:

5x = 10

divide both sides by 5:

x = 2

jcsd said:
x - 2x = -x

Why do we loose the 2 though? When you subtract by x does it always make it negitive?

x - 2x can be written like this:

1x - 2x

Replace x with "apple:"

1apple - 2apples

You're left with -1apple. That's why:

x - 2x = -x

You don't really have to think about what x is doing there. Just think about 1 minus 2:

1 - 2 = -1

Last edited:
Okay, thanks! Now it makes sense! :biggrin:

Thanks guys!

shouldnt it be -16 on the second line?

Either copied the problem wrong or did the entire equation wrong! 1st line and 2nd line don't match!

addman said:

thats the first thing i said,lol, i was thinking "hmmm...that could be your problem right there"

A false change of sign!

addman said:

You are exactly right! The first equation certainly will not balance with x=2.

1. What is algebra and why is it important?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that involves solving equations and manipulating symbols to represent numbers and relationships. It is important because it helps us understand and solve real-world problems, and it is the foundation for more advanced math concepts.

2. How do I know if I have a good understanding of algebra?

You can test your understanding of algebra by practicing solving a variety of problems and checking your answers. You should also be able to explain the concepts and processes used to solve the problems to someone else.

3. What should I do if I am struggling with a specific algebra problem?

If you are struggling with a specific problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts and solving each part separately. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or online resources to clarify any concepts you are having difficulty with.

4. How can I improve my algebra skills?

The best way to improve your algebra skills is to practice solving a variety of problems and seek help when needed. You can also try to understand the underlying concepts and connections between different algebraic concepts.

5. How does algebra relate to other areas of science and mathematics?

Algebra is used extensively in many areas of science and mathematics, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is also the foundation for more advanced math concepts such as calculus and linear algebra.