Ac Spark Length: General Guidelines

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between voltage and spark length in a Tesla Coil and how it is affected by various factors such as surrounding gas pressure, coil windings, and transformer. The approximate rule of thumb for converting spark length to voltage is 8.5 Kv per inch, but it may vary depending on the specific factors of the Tesla Coil. Various internet sites are mentioned that provide mathematical equations and statistics for calculating the voltage based on different factors.
Fullhawking
Is there a general rule of thumb for ac spark length?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking something like "what's the breakdown voltage of a given space in air?"

- Warren

There is a relationship between the voltage and the length of the spark, it is also effected by the surrounding gas (air) pressure.

Here is a site that gives some mathematical equations, statistics and graphs showing the relationships.

http://www.kronjaeger.com/hv/hv/msr/spk/

I build a small tesla coil that produces about 12" sparks. I don't have a way to measure the voltage so I am looking for an approximate spark length to voltage conversion.

I think the rule of thumb varies with several factors: the number of windings in your coils, the transformer, wire thickness, primary spark gap settings, etc. But I read somewhere that for a medium sized unit the rule of thumb is something like 8.5 Kv per inch, this sounds possible for yours, 8.5 x 12 would put you at about 102,000 volts, a little low for a tesla coil, but possible I think.

There are several internet sites that deal with calculating this voltage based on the various factors directly associated with your Tesla Coil.

Here is one:

http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page5.html

What is AC spark length?

AC spark length refers to the distance between the electrodes of an AC spark plug when it is firing. It is an important measurement in determining the health and efficiency of the spark plug.

Why is AC spark length important?

The AC spark length is important because it directly affects the performance of the engine. If the spark length is too short, it can result in incomplete combustion and poor fuel efficiency. On the other hand, if the spark length is too long, it can cause misfires and damage to the engine.

What are the general guidelines for AC spark length?

The general guidelines for AC spark length vary based on the type of engine and spark plug being used. However, a common rule of thumb is that the spark length should be between 0.025 and 0.035 inches for most engines.

How can I measure AC spark length?

To measure AC spark length, you will need a spark plug gap gauge. This tool is specifically designed to measure the distance between the electrodes of a spark plug. Simply insert the gauge between the electrodes and adjust until the correct measurement is achieved.

What factors can affect AC spark length?

There are several factors that can affect AC spark length, including the condition of the spark plug, the type of fuel being used, the engine's air-fuel mixture, and the ignition timing. It is important to regularly check and maintain these factors to ensure optimal spark length and engine performance.