How Does First-Order Coherence Degree Relate to Signal Visibility?

In summary, the first-order coherence degree of two separate signals (wave packets) can be explored using the equation g^{(1)}(\tau, t) = \frac{\langle E^\ast (t) E(t + \tau) \rangle}{\langle |E(t)|^2 \rangle }, where V = |g^{(1)}(\tau)| equates to the equation for fringe visibility in the Michelson interferometer. By considering the electric field composed of two plane waves, it can be shown that if the dephasing difference \varphi is kept fixed, the first-order coherence degree will be unity, but if it varies randomly between measurements, the averaging should yield V = |g^{(1)}(\tau
Sigurdsson

Homework Statement

Hi guys, appreciate all the help I can get. This has been bugging me for 24 hours now. I'm starting to think I'm missing something in the question.

We are exploring first-order coherence degree. That is, exploring the coherence of two separate signals (wave packets) by using the equation
[tex]g^{(1)}(\tau, t) = \frac{\langle E^\ast (t) E(t + \tau) \rangle}{\langle |E(t)|^2 \rangle }[/tex]
If you are familiar with the Michelson interferometer, then you should be familiar with the equation of fringe visibility
[tex] V = \frac{I_{\text{max}} - I_{\text{min}} }{I_{\text{max}} + I_{\text{min}} } [/tex]
Which equates to
[tex] V = |g^{(1)}(\tau)| [/tex]

So here is the question. We are given the field of two different signals
[tex]\frac{E(x,t)}{E_0} = e^{i(k_1 z - \omega_1 t)} + e^{i(k_2 z - \omega_2 t + \varphi)}[/tex]
with the common amplitude [itex]E_0[/itex] and dephasing difference [itex]\varphi[/itex]. The goal is to show that if [itex]\varphi[/itex] is kept fixed we get
[tex] V = |g^{(1)}(\tau)| = 1 [/tex]

and if it varies randomly between measurements, the averaging should yield
[tex] V = |g^{(1)}(\tau)| = \left|\cos{\left( \frac{1}{2}(\omega_1 - \omega_2) \tau \right) } \right| [/tex]

Homework Equations

This is exercise 2.1 in the book Microcavities by Alexey V. Kavokin.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt at the first part if [itex]\varphi[/itex] is kept fixed. Let's put [itex]a = k_1 z - \omega_1 t[/itex] and [itex]b = k_2 z - \omega_2 t + \varphi[/itex] for simplicity's sake. Then we have

[tex] \frac{\langle E^\ast (t) E(t + \tau) \rangle}{\langle |E(t)|^2 \rangle } = \frac{ \langle \left( e^{-ia} + e^{-ib} \right) \left( e^{ia} e^{-i\omega_1 \tau} + e^{ib} e^{-i\omega_2 \tau} \right) \rangle }{ \langle 2 + e^{-i(a -b)} + e^{i(a-b)} \rangle } = \frac{\langle (e^{i(a-b)} + 1) e^{-i\omega_1 \tau} + (e^{-i(a-b)} + 1) e^{-i\omega_2 \tau} \rangle}{\langle 2 + e^{-i(a -b)} + e^{i(a-b)} \rangle} [/tex]

This doesn't look like unity to me. The problem is (I think) is that I'm not sure how to apply the method of "averaging" in this example. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
Getting a little closer, I just realized that the average value of cosine over 2[itex]\pi[/itex] is zero. Meaning...

[tex] \frac{\langle E^\ast (t) E(t + \tau) \rangle}{\langle |E(t)|^2 \rangle } [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{ \langle \left( e^{-ia} + e^{-ib} \right) \left( e^{ia} e^{-i\omega_1 \tau} + e^{ib} e^{-i\omega_2 \tau} \right) \rangle }{ \langle 2 + e^{-i(a -b)} + e^{i(a-b)} \rangle } [/tex]
[tex]= \frac{\langle (e^{i(a-b)} + 1) e^{-i\omega_1 \tau} + (e^{-i(a-b)} + 1) e^{-i\omega_2 \tau} \rangle}{\langle 2 + 2 \cos{(a-b)} \rangle}[/tex]
[tex] = \frac{\langle (e^{i(a-b)} + 1) e^{-i\omega_1 \tau} + (e^{-i(a-b)} + 1) e^{-i\omega_2 \tau} \rangle}{2}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. did you find the answer?I am also interested to know

Likes Philethan
Sorry for the freakishly late reply. I revisited the book Microcavities again and remembered that I never finished the problem here. Here is my take on it,

The solution is as follows:
Let's consider the following electric field composed of two plane waves,
[tex]
E = E_0 \left ( e^{-i \omega_1 t} + e^{-i (\omega_2 t - \varphi)} \right).
[/tex]
Determine the first-order temporal ##(z = 0)## coherence function for a randomly varying [itex]\varphi[/itex],
[tex]
g^{(1)}(t,\tau) = \frac{\langle E^*(t) E(t +\tau) \rangle }{\langle |E(t)|^2 \rangle }.
[/tex]
Let's start by looking at the numerator,
[tex]
\begin{align} \notag

E^*(t) E(t+\tau) & = E_0^2 \left( e^{i \omega_1 t} + e^{i (\omega_2 t - \varphi)} \right) \left( e^{-i \omega_1 (t+\tau)} + e^{-i (\omega_2 (t+\tau) - \varphi)} \right) \\ \notag

& = E_0^2 \left[ e^{- i \omega_1 \tau} + e^{-i \omega_2 \tau} + e^{i(\omega_1 - \omega_2) t} e^{- i \omega_2 \tau} e^{i \varphi} + e^{-i(\omega_1 - \omega_2) t} e^{- i \omega_1 \tau} e^{-i \varphi} \right] \\ \notag

& = E_0^2 e^{-i( \omega_1 + \omega_2)\tau/2} \left[ e^{-i(\omega_1 - \omega_2) \tau/2} \left( 1 + e^{-i (\omega_1 - \omega_2) t} e^{-i \varphi} \right) + e^{i (\omega_1 - \omega_2)\tau/2} \left( 1 + e^{i(\omega_1 - \omega_2)t } e^{i \varphi} \right) \right]

\end{align}
[/tex]
Independent components containing the random variable [itex]\varphi[/itex] will vanish in the averaging. Thus we have,
[tex]
\langle E^*(t) E(t + \tau) \rangle = E_0^2 e^{-i( \omega_1 + \omega_2)\tau/2} \left[ e^{-i(\omega_1 - \omega_2) \tau/2} + e^{i (\omega_1 - \omega_2)\tau/2} \right] = 2E_0^2 \cos{ \left( \frac{\omega_1 - \omega_2}{2} \tau \right)} e^{-i( \omega_1 + \omega_2)\tau/2}.
[/tex]
Let's now look at the denominator,
[tex]
\begin{align} \notag

|E(t)|^2 & = E_0^2 \left[ 2 + e^{-i(\omega_1 - \omega_2)t} e^{-i \varphi} + e^{i(\omega_1 - \omega_2)t} e^{i \varphi}\right] \\ \notag

& = E_0^2 \left[ 2 + 2 \cos{ \left( (\omega_1 - \omega_2) t + \varphi \right) } \right] \\ \notag

& = 4 E_0^2 \cos^2{ \left( \frac{\omega_1 - \omega_2 }{2} t + \frac{\varphi}{2}\right)}.

\end{align}
[/tex]
The average of the cosine will be [itex]1/2[/itex]. Thus in the end we have,
[tex]
g^{(1)}(t,\tau) = \frac{\langle E^*(t) E(t +\tau) \rangle }{\langle |E(t)|^2 \rangle } = \frac{2E_0^2 \cos{ \left( \frac{\omega_1 - \omega_2}{2} \tau \right)} e^{-i( \omega_1 + \omega_2)\tau/2}}{2 E_0^2} = \cos{ \left( \frac{\omega_1 - \omega_2}{2} \tau \right)} e^{-i( \omega_1 + \omega_2)\tau/2}.
[/tex]
And thus,
[tex]
|g^{(1)}(t,\tau)| = \left| \cos{ \left( \frac{\omega_1 - \omega_2}{2} \tau \right)} \right|.
[/tex]
Which is what was supposed to be shown.

Likes Philethan

Related to How Does First-Order Coherence Degree Relate to Signal Visibility?

1. What is first-order coherence degree?

First-order coherence degree refers to the measure of how similar the phases of two different waves are. It is a measure of the degree of coherence between two waves, which determines the interference pattern when the waves are superimposed.

2. How is first-order coherence degree measured?

First-order coherence degree is typically measured using the Michelson interferometer, which measures the visibility of the interference fringes. The visibility is then used to calculate the coherence degree between the two waves.

3. What is the significance of first-order coherence degree?

First-order coherence degree is important in many areas of science, including optics, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. It allows us to determine the degree of correlation between two waves and understand the properties of interference.

4. Can first-order coherence degree change over time?

Yes, the first-order coherence degree can change over time. It is affected by factors such as the distance between the sources of the waves, the medium through which the waves travel, and the stability of the sources.

5. How does first-order coherence degree differ from higher-order coherence?

First-order coherence degree only takes into account the phases of two waves, whereas higher-order coherence also considers the intensity of the waves. This means that higher-order coherence can give more information about the correlation between multiple waves.