First meeting with research advisor

In summary: Thanks for the input!In summary, the professor wants to meet with the student to discuss research ideas. The student is nervous because he didn't mention what would be on the agenda. The professor told the student about his research and the student found it interesting. They are scheduled to meet again and the student is hopeful.
ephedyn
I just found myself a professor who's interested to be my research advisor recently, and so he wants to meet me at his office today... Now all of a sudden I feel a little flustered because he didn't mention what's on the agenda! I presume we'll discuss some administrative stuff (our schedules, timeline etc.) and also throw around some ideas (narrowing the scope on what I should do some literature review on before meeting him the next time and deciding more specifically what we will research on)... well at least that was how it was like in high school... but I'm still very flustered! Is there anything else which I'm supposed to do, or like, prepare, before meeting him?

Physics news on Phys.org
...so, how'd it go?

Put on a big smile, you can't go wrong with a smile.

Haha it felt terrible -_-; he told me about his research and it's all very interesting but I really didn't know what to say because I felt like I didn't know anything and couldn't say something constructive.

But he sounded like a really nice guy and we're scheduled to meet again so it sounds like I 'passed'?

Read up on his research would be my suggestion.

General_Sax said:
Read up on his research would be my suggestion.

I second that.

This happened to me. Actually, it happened the first couple of times I met with the guy. I mean, as a person who knows nothing about what an expert is teaching you about.. it's very humbling and daunting. Fortunately it gets better. Read up on all the stuff you can get your hands on related to the research you'll be doing or the stuff he's doing.

@General_Sax, lisab
Yup, at the end of the day I suggested that he pointed me to some of his more relevant papers to review before the next meeting. Hopefully I'm on the right track.

@hadsed
Humbling and daunting is totally what I felt ): I will definitely read up on what he has done now.

Related to First meeting with research advisor

What is the purpose of a first meeting with a research advisor?

The purpose of a first meeting with a research advisor is to establish a connection and discuss your research interests, goals, and expectations. It is also an opportunity to get to know your advisor and their expectations for your research project.

What should I bring to the first meeting with my research advisor?

It is important to come prepared to the first meeting with your research advisor. You should bring a copy of your CV, a brief summary of your research interests, and any relevant questions or concerns you have regarding your research project.

How should I prepare for a first meeting with a research advisor?

To prepare for a first meeting with your research advisor, make sure you have a clear understanding of your research interests, goals, and objectives. You should also familiarize yourself with your advisor's research and any potential projects they are working on.

What should I expect during a first meeting with a research advisor?

During a first meeting with a research advisor, you can expect to discuss your research interests, goals, and expectations. Your advisor may also ask about your academic background and any relevant experience you have. This is also a chance for you to ask any questions you have about your research project.

What are some important things to keep in mind during a first meeting with a research advisor?

During a first meeting with a research advisor, it is important to listen carefully to their expectations and ask any questions you have. Be open and honest about your research interests and goals, and be prepared to discuss potential ideas for your research project. It is also important to establish clear communication and expectations for future meetings and progress updates.