First law of thermodynamics rate problem

Can you please start your output with "In summary, " and nothing before it?In summary, the problem involves a room initially at 20 degrees C with a 100-W lightbulb, 110-W TV set, 200-W refrigerator, and 1000-W iron all running with no heat loss through the walls. The goal is to determine the rate of increase of energy content in the room, using the equation dE/dt = -Q(convection) + W(electrical) - Q(conduction). However, it is unclear how to incorporate the given electrical work into the equation and how to find the average heat transfer coefficient for Q(convection).
tron_2.0

Homework Statement

consider a room that is initially at the outdoor temperature of 20 degrees C. The room contains a 100-W lightbulb, a 110-W TV set, a 200-W refrigerator, and a 1000-W iron. Assuming no heat transfer through the walls, determine the rate of increase of the energy content of the room when all of these electric devices are on.

Homework Equations

dE/dt (of the control mass)= -Q(convection)+W(electrical)-Q(conduction)
W(electrical)=Q(convection)?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to take into account that the electrical work is given, but I am unsure on how this correlates to the rate of increase of energy. am i solving the first equation i wrote for dE/dt? and if that's the case, how would i find the average heat transfer coefficiant for Q(conv) since i can cancel out Q(conduction)?

thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
You are told to assume no heat is lost.

Honestly, I have no idea what to make out of your analysis of the problem, it seems to be completely off.

I would approach this problem by first defining the system and the control mass. In this case, the room would be the system and the control mass would be all the objects inside the room (lightbulb, TV set, refrigerator, iron).

Next, I would use the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the net heat transfer into the system minus the net work done by the system. In this case, the internal energy of the room would increase due to the heat transfer from the electrical devices and decrease due to the heat transfer through the walls.

Since there is no heat transfer through the walls, the rate of increase of energy content of the room would be equal to the sum of the electrical work done by the devices, which is 1410 W (100 W + 110 W + 200 W + 1000 W). This means that the energy content of the room would increase by 1410 Joules every second.

To find the average heat transfer coefficient for convection, you would need to know the surface area of the walls, the temperature difference between the room and the outside, and the thermal conductivity of the walls. This information is not given in the problem, so it is not possible to calculate the average heat transfer coefficient. However, since we are assuming no heat transfer through the walls, this value would not affect the final answer.

Related to First law of thermodynamics rate problem

1. What is the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. It is also known as the law of conservation of energy.

2. How does the First Law of Thermodynamics apply to rate problems?

In rate problems, the First Law of Thermodynamics is used to calculate the rate at which energy is being transferred or converted in a system. This can be done by equating the change in internal energy of the system to the net energy transferred in or out of the system.

3. What is the equation used to solve First Law of Thermodynamics rate problems?

The equation used to solve First Law of Thermodynamics rate problems is: ΔU = Q - W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat transferred into the system, and W is the work done on the system.

4. Can the First Law of Thermodynamics be violated?

No, the First Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated. It is a universal principle that applies to all physical systems and processes.

5. What are some real-world applications of the First Law of Thermodynamics rate problems?

The First Law of Thermodynamics and its rate problems have many real-world applications, such as calculating the efficiency of engines, determining the rate of heat transfer in buildings, and understanding the energy flow in biological systems.