First law of thermodynamics and work done

In summary, to find the work done (in J) when two kilograms of water at 100oC is converted to steam at 1 ATM, we can use the formula W = PV where P is the external pressure (1 ATM) and V is the change in volume from water to steam. We can assume that the change in volume occurs gradually and that the initial volume is 0. The density of steam at 100oC is 0.598 kg/m3. The correct answer is c. 1.2 x 105.
fly_bo1
Two kilograms of water at 100oC is converted to steam at 1 ATM. Find the work done (in J). (The density of steam at 100oC is 0.598 kg/m3.)

a. 4.6 x 104
b. 3.4 x 104
c. 1.2 x 105
d. 2.1 x 104
e. 3.4 x 105

I'ved use the integration holding volume as a variable. However, I don't know why I am not getting the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
fly_bo1 said:
Two kilograms of water at 100oC is converted to steam at 1 ATM. Find the work done (in J). (The density of steam at 100oC is 0.598 kg/m3.)

a. 4.6 x 104
b. 3.4 x 104
c. 1.2 x 105
d. 2.1 x 104
e. 3.4 x 105

I'ved use the integration holding volume as a variable. However, I don't know why I am not getting the right answer.
You don't have to do an integration. Assume that the change in volume from water to steam occurs at 1 Atm external pressure and that the steam is created gradually. Pressure is constant, so [itex]W = \int PdV = PV[/itex] (assume initial volume is 0).

AM

PS Welcome to PF, btw.

I would like to provide a thorough response to this question. The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In this scenario, the energy in the form of heat is being converted into work.

To calculate the work done, we need to use the formula W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume. In this case, we know the pressure (1 ATM) and the change in volume (from liquid water to steam).

To find the change in volume, we can use the density of steam at 100oC, which is 0.598 kg/m3. Since we have 2 kg of water, the initial volume is 2 kg / 1000 kg/m3 = 0.002 m3. The final volume is the volume of the steam, which we can calculate using the density: V = m/ρ = 2 kg / 0.598 kg/m3 = 3.344 m3.

Plugging in these values into the formula, we get W = (1 ATM)(3.344 m3 - 0.002 m3) = 3.342 J. Therefore, the correct answer is b. 3.4 x 104 J.

It is possible that your method of using integration may have led to an incorrect answer. I would recommend double-checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct formula for work done. Additionally, it is always helpful to have someone else review your work to catch any potential errors.

Related to First law of thermodynamics and work done

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to work done?

The first law of thermodynamics states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. In other words, any work done by or on a system will result in a change in the system's internal energy.

What is considered work done in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, work is defined as the energy transferred by a force acting over a distance. This can include mechanical work, such as pushing a piston, or electrical work, such as moving charges through a circuit.

Can work done by a system be negative?

Yes, work done by a system can be negative. This occurs when the system loses energy due to work being done on it, such as when a gas expands and pushes a piston outward, resulting in a decrease in the system's internal energy.

How is work done related to the change in internal energy of a system?

The first law of thermodynamics states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. Therefore, the work done by a system will result in a change in internal energy, either increasing or decreasing it depending on the direction of the work.