First Five Math Text and bonus questions....

• Intro Math
  • Thread starter NotGauss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Text
In summary, the conversation revolves around recommendations for math textbooks and computer languages. The speaker suggests Numerical Python, Julia or Matlab for applied math and science projects, and Latex for typesetting mathematical expressions. They also recommend "Schaum's Outline Mathematical Handbook of Formulas and Tables" for review and reference, "Essential Matlab" for learning Matlab, and "Python Cookbook" for looking up recipes. For applied math resources, they suggest "Arfken and Weber Mathematical Methods," "Boas," "Nearing," and "Elwes Math 1001" for inspirational math. Lastly, the speaker mentions "Princeton Guide to Mathematics" as a potential resource, but notes that it may be too advanced.
NotGauss
OK, plane and simple...no pun, sadly.
As you are now, looking back to your young mathematical prodigy self, which five math text would you recommend to yourself and why? The bonus question, would you recommend a computer language or LaTex or both?

Thank you for the input!
Jonathan

P.S. Yes, I have been told I can purchase five new books! Hence the question.
P.S.S. I have no general idea of where I want to go in mathematics

Physics news on Phys.org
For computer language and Latex recommendation of course both. Numerical Python, Julia or Matlab are good for applied math and science projects. Latex is a markup language for typesetting mathematical expressions which you'll need for math papers, sometimes homework depending on the prof and for entering posts here at PF.

One book that I got early on was Schaum's Outline Mathematical Handbook of Formulas and Tables. It has served me well over the years whenever I needed to review some formula or find an integration solution. It also has several obscure coordinate systems that can crop up in physics from time to time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071795375/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Essential Matlab by Hahn and Valentine is good for learning Matlab

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0123943981/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For Python, I'd go with the Python Cookbook because once you learn the language there's always recipes that you need to look up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1449340377/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For an applied math resources there's these three books pick one I have Arfken&Weber and Nearing:
- Arfken and Weber Mathematical Methods
- Boas
- Nearing free online at:

For inspirational Math, there's this book:
- Elwes Math 1001

The Elwes book covers many math topics is a good source for getting an overview of some math area that you can investigate further

Lastly, there's the Princeton Guide to Mathematics which may be a bit too heavy but you never know:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691118809/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonathan Kyle said:
P.S.S. I have no general idea of where I want to go in mathematics
But you do have an idea of where you are starting from, right? :oldwink: It might help if we knew that.

Related to First Five Math Text and bonus questions....

What is "First Five Math Text"?

"First Five Math Text" is a series of five textbooks that cover fundamental math concepts for students in grades 1-5. These textbooks are designed to provide a strong foundation in math and prepare students for more advanced concepts in later years.

What subjects are covered in "First Five Math Text"?

The textbooks cover a range of subjects, including basic operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division), fractions, geometry, measurement, and more. Each book is tailored to the specific grade level and builds upon the concepts introduced in the previous book.

Are the "First Five Math Text" books aligned with common core standards?

Yes, the "First Five Math Text" series is fully aligned with the common core standards for math. These standards are used in most US schools and are a set of learning goals that outline what students should know and be able to do in each grade level.

What makes "First Five Math Text" different from other math textbooks?

"First Five Math Text" stands out because it focuses on building a strong foundation in math by teaching fundamental concepts in a clear and engaging manner. The textbooks also include interactive activities, real-world examples, and plenty of practice problems to reinforce learning.

Are there any bonus materials or resources included with "First Five Math Text"?

Yes, "First Five Math Text" comes with a variety of bonus materials, such as online resources, practice worksheets, and interactive games. These materials are designed to supplement the textbooks and provide students with additional practice and support.