Finitely Generated Modules .... another question

• I
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modules
In summary, the proof of Lemma 1.2.21 states that any submodule properly containing X' must also contain x_0. This allows us to conclude that X' is maximal among all the proper submodules of M.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading An Introduction to Rings and Modules With K-Theory in View by A.J. Berrick and M.E. Keating (B&K).

I need help with the proof of Lemma 1.2.21 ...

Lemma 1.2.21 and its proof reads as follows:
?temp_hash=686be1ce874012e5acd1f87513653b2c.png

In the above text (in the proof) by Berrick and Keating we read the following:"... ... Any submodule properly containing ##X'## must contain ##x_0##, also, so ##X'## is maximal among all the proper submodules of ##M##. ... ... My first question is ... why must any submodule containing ##X'## also contain ##x_0## ... ?

My second question is ... why does ##X##' containing ##x_0## allow us to conclude that
##X'## is maximal among all the proper submodules of ##M##. ... ... ?Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attachments

• B&K - Lemma 1.2.21 ... ....png
    B&K - Lemma 1.2.21 ... ....png
    62.3 KB · Views: 634
Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##N## be a submodule of ##M## that properly contains ##X'##.
Then we have ##x_1R+...+x_sR+L\subseteq X'\subsetneq N##
So if ##x_0\notin N##, we have ##N\in S##, which contradicts our assumption that ##X'## is maximal in ##S##.

Hence we must have ##x_0\in N##.

But that means that ##N\supseteq x_0R+(x_1R+...+x_sR+L)=M##. So ##M## is maximal because any submodule ##N## of ##M## that properly contains it must be equal to ##M##.

Likes Math Amateur
Math Amateur said:
"... ... Any submodule properly containing ##X'## must contain ##x_0##, also, so ##X'## is maximal among all the proper submodules of ##M##. ... ...My first question is ... why must any submodule containing ##X′## also contain ##x_0## ... ?

My second question is ... why does ##X'## containing ##x_0## allow us to conclude that
##X'## is maximal among all the proper submodules of ##M##. ... ... ?

Let us proceed by the pattern I told you.

Firstly ##X'## is chosen as a maximal element of the set
$$S := \{ N \,\vert \, N\subsetneq M \text{ submodule and } x_1R+\dots +x_sR+L \subseteq N \text{ and } x_0 \notin N \}$$
Secondly, we know that ##M## is finitely generated by ##\{x_0,x_1, \dots , x_s\}##.

Now the pattern goes:

Assume we have a submodule ##P##, which lies between ##X'## and ##M##, that is ##X' \subseteq P \subseteq M##.
We have to show that either ##P=X'## or ##P=M##.

1.) If ##X' \subsetneq P## is a proper inclusion, then ##x_0## has to be in ##P## because all other generators are already in ##X'## and ##x_0## is the only one which is left and can be added to create a proper inclusion. But then ##P=M##. *)

2.) If ##X' \subseteq P## and ##P \subsetneq M## is a proper submodule of ##M##, then ##P## belongs to ##S##. But ##X'## is a maximal element of ##S##. So the only way out is ##P=X'##.

Thus we have shown that there cannot be a submodule ##P## between ##X'## and ##M##, which makes ##X'## a maximal submodule.

*) Edit: In contrast to the example with the integers, you can't escape by taking elements like ##x_0^2## or similar instead of ##x_0##, because ##x_0## belongs to ##M## and there is no multiplication within ##M## and ##x_0## is not in ##R##.

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur
Thanks ... very clear and very helpful ...

Pity the text couldn't be as clear ...

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Thanks ... very clear and very helpful ...

Pity the text couldn't be as clear ...

Peter
I'm afraid I made a little mistake in my cases. Given ##X' \subseteq P \subseteq M## then one has to distinguish
1.) ##x_0 \in P## and
2.) ##x_0 \notin P##.

##X' \subsetneq P## being a proper submodule does not imply ##x_0 \in P##. E.g. ##2x_0## could be a generator of ##P## which is not ##x_0## ; and ##2## might not be a unit of ##R##, so it cannot be divided.

However, the cases above work. And one of them has to be true: ##x_0## is either in ##P## or it is not.
So if 1.) ##x_0 \in P## then ##M = X' + x_0R \subseteq P## and ##P=M##,
and if 2.) ##x_0 \notin P## then ##P \in S## and ##X' \subseteq P## implies ##P=X' ## by the maximality of ##X'## in ##S##.

Thus we have ##X' \subseteq P \subseteq M\, \Longrightarrow \, P=X' \text{ or } P=M##, i.e. ##X' \subseteq M## is maximal.

Likes Math Amateur
Well ... have to confess ... I did not notice that subtlety ...

... ... hmmm ... still reflecting on it ...

... well ... learning quite a lot from you ...

Thanks so much for your help and insights ...

Peter

Related to Finitely Generated Modules .... another question

1. What is a finitely generated module?

A finitely generated module is a mathematical structure that is composed of a finite number of elements, also known as generators. These elements are used to generate all other elements in the module through a linear combination of them.

2. How is a finitely generated module different from a free module?

Unlike a free module, a finitely generated module has a finite number of generators. This means that not all elements in the module can be expressed as a linear combination of a basis, but only those that can be generated by the given finite set of elements.

3. What are some examples of finitely generated modules?

Some examples of finitely generated modules include vector spaces, polynomial rings, and quotient rings. These structures can be generated by a finite set of elements and satisfy the definition of a finitely generated module.

4. How are finitely generated modules useful in mathematics?

Finitely generated modules are useful in various areas of mathematics such as linear algebra, abstract algebra, and commutative algebra. They provide a framework for understanding and solving problems involving finite sets of elements and their linear combinations.

5. Can a finitely generated module have an infinite number of generators?

No, a finitely generated module cannot have an infinite number of generators. By definition, a finitely generated module has a finite number of generators, so it is not possible for it to have an infinite number of them.