Finite/Infinite Potential Well Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the solutions to three problems involving a particle in an infinite well. The first problem involves finding the probability of the particle being in the middle half of the well. The second problem involves finding the position of two nodes for a particle in the second state of an infinite well. The third problem involves sketching the wave function and finding the values of the two nodes for a well of finite depth. The conversation also discusses the differences between cosine and sine functions for different states in the well.
Anonymous1783
Hi, (first ever post)

I have the following three problems

1) A particle is in the ground state of an infinite well from 0<x<a. Find the probability that it is in the middle half of the well.

I think I have managed this, its just the integral of the wave function squared then I put in the values 3a/4 and a/4 to get the probability. It all cancels out nicely to get 0.82 which seems about right

psi = (2/a)^0.5 * sin(pi*x/a)
psi^2 = (2/a) * sin^2(pi*x/a)
Integral = ((2/a)((x/2)-((a/4pi)sin(2pix/a)
then put in the limits 3a/4 and a/4 and get 0.82
Is this the right method

2) A particle is in second state n=3 of an infinite well from -a/2<x<a/2. Find the position of the two nodes.

psi = (2/a)^0.5 * sin(pi*x*3/a)
probability density = psi^2 = (2/a) * sin^2(pi*x*3/a)
At the nodes i thought this must be equal to zero
so (2/a) * sin^2(pi*x*3/a)=0
therefore the nodes must be at x=a/3 and x=-a/3

3) This is what I am stuck on. Consider a well of finite depth that is just deep enough to contain three states. Sketch n=3 wave function and give the two values of the two nodes in this case.

I have sketched it from a textbook but I don't know how to find the nodes because I am confused about what the wave function is. Would it just be Asin(kx)+Bcos(kx). Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for question no. (2):

the wavefunction for the boundaries from x= -a/2 to x= a/2 (with n = 3) is sqrt(2/a) cos(npix/a) ..

how will that change your answer?

Really? I can't see why, looking at this diagram surely it describes a sine function at n=3?

http://www.vectorsite.net/tpqm_02_05.png

They all appear to be sine functions, because at the walls there are nodes. Maybe I am looking at it wrong actually, I can see how the symmetry of the n=3 graph would suggest it is a cos function.

sqrt(2/a) cos(npix/a) if it is this then

psi^2= (2/a)*cos^2 (3pix/a)
for this to equal zero x=a/6 or -a/6

so is that the correct answer for part 2?

Does anyone have any bright ideas for part 3?

thanks for the help by the way

Anonymous1783 said:
sqrt(2/a) cos(npix/a) if it is this then

psi^2= (2/a)*cos^2 (3pix/a)
for this to equal zero x=a/6 or -a/6

so is that the correct answer for part 2?

Does anyone have any bright ideas for part 3?

thanks for the help by the way

that is correct .. sorry for the late reply ..

look .. when the boundaries run from -a/2 to a/2 .. then the function will alternate between being symmetric and antisymmetric ( cosine and sine ), then n=1 is cosine function, n=2 is a sine, n=3 is a cosine .. etc

I can see that you are wondering why it is so ( I used to have the same question in my mind when I first studied it too ) ..

you know that the function for the boundaries x = 0 to x= a is sqrt(2/a) sin(npix/a) quick comparison between it and the one between x= -a/2 to x= a/2 you would see that they have the same length (which is a) and the only difference is that the other one is shifted a/2to the left .. so change x to x-a/2 then the sine in the wavefunction would change from
sin(npix/a) to sin(npix/a - npi/2) = sin(npix/a)cos(npi/2) - cos(npix/a)sin(npi/2)
from there you can conclude that for n=1,3,5.. the solution would just be sqrt(2/a)cos(npix/a)..

hopefully this is more clear now :) ..

Related to Finite/Infinite Potential Well Problems

1. What is a finite/infinite potential well problem?

A finite/infinite potential well problem is a common problem in quantum mechanics, where a particle is confined within a potential energy well. The well acts as a barrier, restricting the particle's movement to a finite or infinite region, depending on the type of well. This problem is used to study the behavior of particles in confined spaces and their energy levels.

2. What is the difference between a finite and an infinite potential well?

The main difference between a finite and an infinite potential well is the size of the region where the particle is confined. In a finite potential well, the particle is confined within a limited space, while in an infinite potential well, the particle is confined within an infinitely large space. This results in different energy levels and behaviors of the particle.

3. How do you solve a finite/infinite potential well problem?

To solve a finite/infinite potential well problem, one needs to use the Schrödinger equation and boundary conditions. The Schrödinger equation describes the behavior of quantum particles and their associated wave functions. The boundary conditions are used to determine the energy levels and wave functions of the particle within the potential well.

4. What are some real-life applications of finite/infinite potential well problems?

Finite/infinite potential well problems have various applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. One of the most common applications is in the study of semiconductors, where electrons are confined within a finite potential well. This allows scientists to understand the electronic properties of materials and develop new technologies such as transistors and solar cells.

5. Can a particle escape from an infinite potential well?

No, a particle cannot escape from an infinite potential well. This is because the walls of an infinite potential well act as an infinite barrier, making it impossible for the particle to have enough energy to overcome it. However, in a finite potential well, there is a small probability for the particle to tunnel through the barrier and escape.