Fining the force constant of a spring

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force constant of a vertical spring when a 9.09kg mass is placed on it, causing a compression of 4.18 cm. The formula F=-kx is used, with k=mg/x, and after some calculations, an incorrect answer of 2133 N/m is obtained. It is then discovered that there is a typo in either the question or the answer, and the correct answer is 2.13 N/m or 1.558 N/m, depending on whether the mass is 9.09 kg or 9.09 g. The discussion also touches on the concept of average force versus peak force and clarifies that F=-kx represents the force the spring
Crbeach
When a 9.09kg mass is placed on top of a vertical spring, the spring compresses 4.18 cm. Find the force constant of the spring.

Okay I know the formula for a spring is F=-kx
So k=mg/x
converting the cm to m I get 4.18cm = 0.0418m

So I plug in my numbers
k=(9.09kg)(9.81m/s^2)/ 0.0418
but that gives me 2133 which is not the answer.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
when I type it in my calculator I get:
(9,09 * 9,81) / (4,18^(-2)) = 1 558,06458

If that is the right answer than you just made a typo, if it's not then I also don't know:P

Include the unit of the spring constant.

ehild

The answer is 2.13 kg*m/s^2 / m

The only way I can see to get that answer is to make the cm into decimeters
4.18 cm = 41.8 dec
That gives me 2.13 but that wouldn't work for the unit kg*m/s^2 / m

Last edited:
4.18 cm is 0.418 dm...

Your answer k=2133 N/m is correct if the mass is 9.09 kg. If the mass is 9.09 g (gram) k would be 2.13 N/m.

ehild

Ok so there is a typo in the book, either in the question or in the answer.
Thank you very much. Its nice to know I was doing the problem correctly

I'm guessing that you were off by a factor of 2. In the Hooke's Law equation (F = -kx) where force is generated by gravity, F represents the AVERAGE force, not the peak force. Force is not constant as the the spring is compressed from its relaxed length to its new equilibrium point with the weight sitting on it.

The problem assumes that the spring starts from the relaxed length with zero force. The force at the maximum compression is the peak force (mg). Since k is a constant, the relationship between force and distance is linear. So, the average force is 1/2 of the peak force (1/2 * m * g).

Dansar said:
I'm guessing that you were off by a factor of 2. In the Hooke's Law equation (F = -kx) where force is generated by gravity, F represents the AVERAGE force, not the peak force.

That is wrong.
F=-kx is the force the spring exerts on the block when its length differs by x from the relaxed length, not an "average" one. The block is stationary, so the force of gravity is canceled by the spring force, mg-kx=0.

ehild

Related to Fining the force constant of a spring

What is the force constant of a spring?

The force constant of a spring is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. It is a physical constant that relates the force applied to a spring to the displacement it causes.

How do you calculate the force constant of a spring?

The force constant of a spring can be calculated using the equation k = F/x, where k is the force constant, F is the force applied to the spring, and x is the displacement caused by the force.

What factors affect the force constant of a spring?

The force constant of a spring is affected by the material and dimensions of the spring, as well as any external forces applied to it. The type of spring (e.g. compression, tension, or torsion) also affects the force constant.

Why is it important to find the force constant of a spring?

Knowing the force constant of a spring is important in many applications, such as designing and building mechanical systems, predicting the behavior of springs in different situations, and understanding the relationship between force and displacement in springs.

What are some methods for finding the force constant of a spring?

There are several methods for finding the force constant of a spring, including static methods (e.g. Hooke's Law) and dynamic methods (e.g. using oscillations or vibrations). These methods may involve measuring force and displacement, or using mathematical models and equations.