Fingerprints though beaker of water

• Thread starter hellothere12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the phenomenon of seeing clear fingerprints through the surface of the water is an example of refraction, caused by the change in speed and direction of light as it passes through the water. Conducting experiments with light and water can help further explain and understand this phenomenon.
hellothere12
Hello. Thank you very much for taking the time to view my post. I am eager to learn more about physics.

Homework Statement

The statement is along the lines of:
A glass is filled with water. When you grip it, a very clear image of your fingerprints is clearly visible (looking through the surface of the water). Explore this and explain it.

Homework Equations

Not too sure on this one... I am assuming refraction or reflection has something to do with it...

The Attempt at a Solution

I played with a beaker full of water, and substituted the fingers for other objects. I found that it takes a wet object to show (the oil on fingers acts as a liquid between the finger and glass I assume). I also found that everything except the fingerprints on the side of the beaker is a reflection of what is on the bottom on the beaker.

Im hoping someone may be able to point me in the direction, or can aid me in explaining the situation and relevant theory.

I also need to design an experiment (preferably more than one) to use in an experimental write-up that can help explain this situation.

Id be eternally grateful for any help.

CHeerio and happy physicising.

Physics news on Phys.org
The phenomenon you are describing is an example of refraction. When light rays pass from one medium (in this case, air) to another (water), the speed of the light changes and the angle of the light ray bends. This is because the water has a different refractive index than the air, which causes the light to bend as it enters the water. As a result, when you look through the surface of the water, your fingers appear larger and distorted due to the change in the angle of the light rays. You can conduct an experiment to further investigate this phenomenon. For example, you could use a laser pointer and point it through the surface of the water, creating a beam of light that will bend as it enters the water. You can then measure the angle at which the beam of light enters the water and observe how it changes as it exits the water on the other side. Additionally, you could also measure the angle at which the light beam exits the water in relation to the angle at which it entered. By measuring these angles and comparing them, you can more accurately understand how refraction works and how it affects the appearance of objects seen through the surface of the water.

Related to Fingerprints though beaker of water

What are fingerprints and how are they formed?

Fingerprints are unique patterns of ridges, furrows, and pores on the fingertips that are formed in the womb and remain unchanged throughout a person's life. They are formed by the interaction of genetic factors and the environment in the womb.

How are fingerprints used in forensic science?

Fingerprints are used in forensic science as a means of identification. They are unique to each individual and can be used to link a person to a crime scene or to eliminate suspects.

Can fingerprints be altered or changed?

No, fingerprints cannot be altered or changed. They remain the same throughout a person's life and are not affected by injuries, scarring, or aging.

How are fingerprints collected and analyzed?

Fingerprints are collected using a variety of methods, including ink and paper, live scan technology, and photography. They are then analyzed by experts using specialized software to identify unique features and match them to existing records.

What are some limitations of using fingerprints as evidence?

While fingerprints are a valuable tool in forensic science, there are some limitations to their use. For example, if a person's fingerprints are not in the database, they cannot be identified through fingerprint analysis. Additionally, environmental factors, age, and injuries can sometimes make it difficult to obtain clear and usable fingerprints.