Fine Tuning Constants: Understanding Variables and Ratios | Physics NIST

In summary, the conversation is about the fine tuning of the universe and whether the variables involved in this concept can be found in the list of constants provided by the National Institute of Standards and Technology. The original poster is also asking for clarification on how these constants are used to calculate ratios and how sensitive they are. They also mention watching videos by Bernard Carr and not being able to find some of the mentioned constants on the list. They provide links to additional resources for further information.
name123
This isn't a question about whether the universe is fine tuned or not. Which is more of a philosophical issue than a physics one. This is whether anyone on here knows of the variables involved from the following http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Constants/Table/allascii.txt in the "fine tuning" findings. If some of the "fine tunings" are ratios, could a responder perhaps mention which constants from that list are involved in calculating the ratio and what the equation is, so that people can understand what the ratio is, and how the value is arrived at.

Furthermore it would be great if the responder knew how sensitive the constants or ratios were, and what difference it would make if they lay outside of the range (if not it doesn't matter).

A big ask I guess, but I thought there might be an expert on here. I watched some Bernard Carr videos, but couldn't see some of the constants he mentioned on the list, and didn't know how to derive them, so thought I'd try here for some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you, I'll take at look at it now :)

Related to Fine Tuning Constants: Understanding Variables and Ratios | Physics NIST

What are "Fine Tuning" constants?

"Fine tuning" constants refer to the fundamental physical constants in the universe that seem to have been "fine tuned" or precisely set in order for life to exist. These constants include the gravitational constant, the strong and weak nuclear forces, and the cosmological constant.

Why are "Fine Tuning" constants important?

These constants are important because they determine the fundamental laws of nature and govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. If these constants were even slightly different, the universe would not be able to support life.

What evidence supports the idea of "Fine Tuning" constants?

One of the main pieces of evidence for "fine tuning" constants is the fact that the values of these constants seem to be perfectly balanced to allow for the existence of life. If any of these constants were even slightly different, life as we know it would not be possible.

Are there any alternative explanations for "Fine Tuning" constants?

Some scientists argue that the apparent "fine tuning" of these constants may be due to the anthropic principle, which states that the universe must be compatible with the existence of observers. Others suggest that there may be multiple universes with different values of these constants, and ours happens to be the one with values that allow for life.

How does the concept of "Fine Tuning" relate to the idea of a creator or intelligent designer?

Many people see the precise values of these constants as evidence for the existence of a creator or intelligent designer who purposely set them to allow for life to exist. However, this is a matter of personal belief and cannot be proven or disproven by science.