Finding work of a man running up stairs

In summary, Jerome successfully climbs a staircase in 1.32 seconds using 102 kg of force and generates 0.5 W of power.
Pao44445

Homework Statement

During the Powerhouse lab, Jerome runs up the stairs, elevating his 102 kg body a vertical distance of 2.29 meters in a time of 1.32 seconds at a constant speed.

a. Determine the work done by Jerome in climbing the stair case.
b. Determine the power generated by Jerome.
(credit : http://www.physicsclassroom.com/ )

Homework Equations

W=Fdcosθ
P=W/t[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

well, I got the right answers but I don't get it why I can directly use 102 kg for F=ma in W=Fdcosθ equation to find work and the problem doesn't give me any theta or I miss some concept of work?
Untitled.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Pao44445 said:
W=Fdcosθ
In that equation, what does theta represent in terms of the vectors ##\vec F## and ##\vec d##?

Likes SakuRERE
The equation is ##W=\vec s \cdot \vec F## for the work done applying force F.
Notice that Jerome runs at constant velocity? Therefore the net force on him is zero.
Therefore your force diagram is incorrect.

Likes jbriggs444
haruspex said:
In that equation, what does theta represent in terms of the vectors ##\vec F## and ##\vec d##?
An angle between Force and distance?

Pao44445 said:
An angle between Force and distance?
With post #3 in mind, what is the magnitude and direction of the force?
What is the magnitude and direction of the distance?

jbriggs444 said:
With post #3 in mind, what is the magnitude and direction of the force?
What is the magnitude and direction of the distance?
I came back reading definition of work again
"Work results when a force acts upon an object to cause a displacement"
F that I must use in this equation is the force that the stairs act on him? (N) and distance has no direction since it is scalar quantity. I am confusing :/ Why I can use 2.29 m for d which it is the height of stair not the displacement of the man(Hypotenuse). I can use energy to solve this but this lesson is about work and I don't want to cheat too

Pao44445 said:
F that I must use in this equation is the force that the stairs act on him?
Yes, and in what direction is that?
Pao44445 said:
distance has no direction since it is scalar quantity
Right, but the definition you quote says displacement, which is a vector.
It is fine to use the displacement along the slope of the stairway,provided you use the right vector for the force and take into account the angle between the two.
Now, you may object that you are not told the slope nor the distance up it of the displacement, but if you just create variables for those and apply a bit of trigonometry you should find they disappear from the equation.

Related to Finding work of a man running up stairs

1. How does the work of a man running up stairs differ from the work of a man walking on flat ground?

The work of a man running up stairs involves lifting his body weight against gravity, which requires more energy and results in a higher work output compared to walking on flat ground.

2. What muscles are primarily used when a man is running up stairs?

The primary muscles used when running up stairs are the quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, and calves. These muscles work together to lift the body and propel it forward.

3. Is running up stairs a more efficient form of exercise compared to other activities?

Running up stairs can be a more efficient form of exercise because it engages multiple muscle groups and requires a higher energy output. However, the efficiency also depends on the individual's fitness level and overall goal.

4. How can running up stairs benefit overall fitness and health?

Running up stairs can improve cardiovascular endurance, strengthen muscles, and burn calories. It can also improve balance, coordination, and agility. Regularly incorporating this activity into a workout routine can lead to overall improved fitness and health.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when running up stairs?

It is important to use caution when running up stairs, as it can be a high-impact activity. Wearing proper footwear with good traction and maintaining proper form can help prevent injuries. It is also recommended to start slowly and gradually increase intensity to avoid overexertion.