Finding Work Done from a Graph

In summary, the conversation discusses how to estimate the work done by the Moon's gravitational pull on a lunar lander as it approaches the lunar surface from a height of 200km. The suggested method is to calculate the area under the graph of force vs. distance, but it is noted that the graph does not go down to zero. After further discussion, it is determined that the correct method is to add the force at 200km to the area under the curve, resulting in an estimated work of 672kJ.
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

Hi,

I am stuck with the following question:

The graph (attached) shows how the Moon's gravitational pull F on a lunar lander varies with the distance 'h' from the Moon's surface. Estimate the work done by the pull of the Moon on the lunar lander as it approaches the lunar surface from a height of 200km. Explain how you made your estimate.

Homework Equations

Work done = force x distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that work = force x distance so I was thinking of the calculating the area under the graph but I don't think this will work as this would involve multiplying 0.88kN by 200m x 0.5 and that just can't be right because the average force has got to be somewhere between 3.6 and 2.92kN. Why doesn't this work though as I thought that finding the area under a graph involves multiplying the y-axis by the x-axis which in this case would be force x distance which is work?

Attachments

• Graph.docx
    445.7 KB · Views: 311
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to consider that the area should go down to zero, while your graph does not. Imagine an extension of the graph down to 0.

mfb said:
You have to consider that the area should go down to zero, while your graph does not. Imagine an extension of the graph down to 0.
Thanks. I still don't understand though. Extension on what axis? The force at 200km is about 2.92kN and at the surface (0m) is 3.6kN so how can anything go down to zero?

mfb said:

Actually I think I see what you mean now. The force at 200m away is 2.92kN so if the force remained at this value for the 200km then you would just multiply these two numbers but since it increase do you add this value to the value underneath the curve which would be 0.88kN x 200 x 0.5. So the total sum would be:

(2.92kN x 200) + (0.88kN x 200 x 0.5) = 584 + 88 = 672kJ (I think these are the correct units)

Is this the correct answer?

Kilometers, not meters.
Apart from that: yes, that works.

The curve is not completely linear so you overestimate the work a bit.

Related to Finding Work Done from a Graph

1. How do you calculate work done from a graph?

To calculate work done from a graph, you need to find the area under the curve of the graph. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller shapes, such as rectangles or triangles, and then using the appropriate formula to find the area of each shape. Finally, add up all the areas to get the total work done.

2. What is the unit of measurement for work done?

The unit of measurement for work done is joules (J). This is the same unit used to measure energy.

3. Can you find work done from any type of graph?

Yes, work done can be calculated from any graph that represents a force acting on an object over a distance. This includes linear, curved, and irregularly shaped graphs.

4. How is work done related to the slope of a graph?

The slope of a graph represents the rate of change of the dependent variable (in this case, force) with respect to the independent variable (distance). Therefore, the steeper the slope, the greater the force, and the more work is being done.

5. Can work done be negative?

Yes, work done can be negative if the force and displacement are in opposite directions. This means that the force is acting against the direction of movement, resulting in a decrease in the object's energy. In this case, the work done would be considered as negative work.