Finding work done by downward force and increase in thermal energy

In summary: We will need to use the given information to solve for the worker's force and then use that to calculate the work done by the worker's force and the increase in thermal energy of the block-floor system.In summary, the worker's force can be calculated using the given information, and then used to determine the work done by the force and the increase in thermal energy of the block-floor system.
rockchalk1312
A worker pushed a 23 kg block 13 m along a level floor at constant speed with a force directed 22° below the horizontal. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between block and floor was 0.40, what were (a) the work done by the worker's force and (b) the increase in thermal energy of the block-floor system?

Fh=Fcos(-22)
Fv=Fsin(-22)

To calculate the normal force I need both the gravitational force and the vertical component of the worker's force, and for horizontal work I also obviously need the horizontal component of their force. So how do I find either of those if I'm not given the magnitude of the worker's force?

Physics news on Phys.org
rockchalk1312 said:
A worker pushed a 23 kg block 13 m along a level floor at constant speed with a force directed 22° below the horizontal. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between block and floor was 0.40, what were (a) the work done by the worker's force and (b) the increase in thermal energy of the block-floor system?Fh=Fcos(-22)
Fv=Fsin(-22)To calculate the normal force I need both the gravitational force and the vertical component of the worker's force, and for horizontal work I also obviously need the horizontal component of their force. So how do I find either of those if I'm not given the magnitude of the worker's force?

The key is that the worker is pushing the block at constant speed, so acceleration (and therefore net force) must be zero.

So, for the horizontal components we have:

Fw cos(22) - Fn(0.40) = 0 where Fw is the force from the worker and Fn the normal force on the block.

For the vertical components we have:

Fw sin(-22) - mg + Fn = 0.

Two equations and two unknowns. You know what to do.

A way to check--before attempting--if a problem like this is solvable is think if the conditions given to you uniquely determine the problem. That is, for a block of a given mass and a force of a given angle and a given coefficient of friction, are there more than one possible forces that the worker could exert on the block at the given angle for it to move at a constant velocity? Of course not!

Last edited:

Related to Finding work done by downward force and increase in thermal energy

1. What is the relationship between downward force and work done?

The work done by a downward force is equal to the product of the force and the distance moved in the direction of the force. This is known as the Work-Energy Theorem and is expressed mathematically as W = Fd. Therefore, the greater the downward force or the longer the distance moved, the more work is done.

2. How does an increase in thermal energy affect the work done?

An increase in thermal energy can affect the work done in several ways. It can increase the temperature of the object, which can lead to an increase in its volume and therefore the distance moved. It can also cause changes in the state of the object, such as melting or boiling, which require energy and therefore result in work being done. Additionally, an increase in thermal energy can lead to the object expanding or contracting, which can affect the work done by changing the distance moved.

3. Is the work done by a downward force always positive?

No, the work done by a downward force can be both positive and negative. If the force and the displacement are in the same direction, the work done is positive. However, if the force and displacement are in opposite directions, the work done is negative. This occurs when the object moves downwards against the force, resulting in a decrease in its potential energy.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the work done?

The direction of the force affects the work done in the same way that the magnitude of the force does. If the force and displacement are in the same direction, the work done is positive. If they are in opposite directions, the work done is negative. In addition, the direction of the force can also determine the type of work being done, such as if the force is applied at an angle, it results in both horizontal and vertical components of work.

5. How can the work done by a downward force and increase in thermal energy be calculated?

The work done by a downward force and increase in thermal energy can be calculated by using the Work-Energy Theorem, which states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This can be expressed as W = ΔKE = mΔv^2/2, where m is the mass of the object and Δv is the change in its velocity. Additionally, the work done by an increase in thermal energy can also be calculated by using the formula W = FΔL, where F is the force applied and ΔL is the change in length or displacement of the object caused by the thermal energy.