Finding work by Force over Position graph

In summary: What does that mean for the work that was done on the object?Otherwise, your work looks fine. I did not check your calculation of the final speed.In summary, an object of 5 kg was acted on by a force and moved from 0.5 to 2.0m. The work done by the force was 27.5J, but friction with a coefficient of 0.2 also acted upon the object, resulting in a work of -14.715J. When subtracted from the work done by the force, the net work was 12.785J. However, due to a possible error in units or calculation, the final speed of the object was found to be incorrect.
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

physic.jpg
An object of 5 kg is acted on by a force and moved from 0.5 to 2.0m.
How much work does the force do?
As the object moved, friction with a coefficient of 0.2 also acted upon it. What is its final speed if it started at rest?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So the work done from 0.5m to 2.0 m was easy enought to find as I just used the graph to find the area between the data and the x-axis coming up with 27.5J

I calculated the work of friction (-u*m*g*d) -0.2*5kg*9.81m/s/s*1.5m= -14.715 J. I subtracted this from the 27.5 joules found earlier to get 12.785 J. Set 12.785=0.5*m*v^2=(0.5)(5kg)(v^2) and found v to be 2.26 m/s. This was incorrect...[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Some observations on what you wrote:

Your graph shows force as a function of time (from t=0 to t=2sec) - you have written "s" and "sec" for units on that axis.

If you subtract -14.715J from 27.5J, then you get 42.215J

The friction force is a constant 9.8N ... how do you know your calculation is incorrect (ie. if computer mediated, maybe you were supposed to use 10N/kg for gravity).

I apologize, the units should be meters. The graph is given from 0m to 2m but the work is the be calculated from 0.5m to 2m. The work of the friction, as it opposes the work of force F, should be added, I stated that i subtracted meaning the magnitude of the fictional work.

Any idea what the significance is of the section of the graph from 0 to .5m? Was that for another part of the question? I ask in case for the second part you are supposed to take the object as starting from rest at position 0.

Likes Simon Bridge
Second above - looking at your graph, where did the object start?

Related to Finding work by Force over Position graph

1. How can I determine the work done by a force through a position graph?

The work done by a force can be determined by calculating the area under the curve of the position graph. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller sections and calculating the area of each section, then summing them together to get the total work.

2. What does the slope of a position graph represent?

The slope of a position graph represents the velocity of an object. The steeper the slope, the greater the velocity of the object. The slope can also indicate the direction of motion - a positive slope indicates movement in the positive direction, while a negative slope indicates movement in the negative direction.

3. Can a constant force result in a curved position graph?

Yes, a constant force can result in a curved position graph if the object is experiencing a changing acceleration. This can happen when external factors, such as friction or air resistance, are present and impacting the motion of the object.

4. How does the work done by a force change if the position graph is shifted vertically?

The work done by a force does not change if the position graph is shifted vertically. The work done is dependent on the area under the curve, which remains the same regardless of the position of the graph.

5. How can I use a position graph to determine the total distance traveled by an object?

The total distance traveled by an object can be determined by finding the total area under the curve of the position graph. This includes both positive and negative areas, as the distance traveled in the negative direction is still a distance traveled.