Finding wire with the right resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment where a 60W light bulb is placed in a room and connected to a DC power supply. The goal is to ensure that only 0.1% of power is lost in the wires. The equations P=VI, V=IR, and R=αL/A are mentioned as tools for calculating the necessary resistance for the wire. The conversation also addresses the need to know the length of the wire and the gauge of wire to achieve the desired resistance. Ultimately, the goal is to find the properties of a wire that will allow for minimal power loss through it.
NihalRi

Homework Statement

So we are doing an experiment where we are trying to place a 60W light bulb in a room. It is connected to the mains power supply, but we are imagining that it is DC instead of AC. Now we have to make sure that we only loose 0.1% of power in the wires.

Homework Equations

P=VI
V=IR
R=αL/A

The Attempt at a Solution

So if the bulb draws 99.9% of the power I calculated that the remaining one percent is about 0.06W. This is how much we can afford to loose in the wire. Now we can use derived form of the Power equation P=I^2R or P=V^2/R to find R. But I noticed you'd need I or V and I'm not sure what value to use pleases help.

Physics news on Phys.org
NihalRi said:

Homework Statement

So we are doing an experiment where we are trying to place a 60W light bulb in a room. It is connected to the mains power supply, but we are imagining that it is DC instead of AC. Now we have to make sure that we only loose 0.1% of power in the wires.

Homework Equations

P=VI
V=IR
R=αL/A

The Attempt at a Solution

So if the bulb draws 99.9% of the power I calculated that the remaining one percent is about 0.06W. This is how much we can afford to loose in the wire. Now we can use derived form of the Power equation P=I^2R or P=V^2/R to find R. But I noticed you'd need I or V and I'm not sure what value to use pleases help.
You know the Mains Voltage and the power, so that gives you the current in the wire. That gives you the resistance of the wire for the 0.1% power level.

You need to know the length of wire (and double that for the two pieces of wire in the cable), and from that you can calculate what gauge wire you need to use to achieve the target resistance. Makes sense?

Likes NihalRi
berkeman said:
You know the Mains Voltage and the power, so that gives you the current in the wire. That gives you the resistance of the wire for the 0.1% power level.

You need to know the length of wire (and double that for the two pieces of wire in the cable), and from that you can calculate what gauge wire you need to use to achieve the target resistance. Makes sense?
The power you area referring to, is that the total power drawn by the wire and the bulb?

NihalRi said:
The power you area referring to, is that the total power drawn by the wire and the bulb?
Well, the wire is dissipating so little, I was just referring to the 60W light bulb. What AC Mains voltage (or equivalent DC voltage) is given?

berkeman said:
Well, the wire is dissipating so little, I was just referring to the 60W light bulb. What AC Mains voltage (or equivalent DC voltage) is given?
120V , I plugged in this and the 60W into one of the power equations and got a resistance of 240 Ω, which I suppose is how much power was decapitated in the circuit. I wasn't clear before but what we have to do is find the properties of a wire that would allow us to lose only this much power through it .

NihalRi said:
120V , I plugged in this and the 60W into one of the power equations and got a resistance of 240 Ω, which I suppose is how much power was decapitated in the circuit. I wasn't clear before but what we have to do is find the properties of a wire that would allow us to lose only this much power through it .
Not quite right.

Use the bulb power and voltage to give you the wire current. Then you want about 0.1% of 60W to be dissipated in the wire, so figure out what resistance dissipates 0.1% of 60W given that current. Then use wire tables to tell you what AWG (or mm square) wire has that resistance for 2xL, where L is the length of the power cord to the bulb.

Try that, and post your work so we can check it please. :smile:

berkeman said:
Not quite right.

Use the bulb power and voltage to give you the wire current. Then you want about 0.1% of 60W to be dissipated in the wire, so figure out what resistance dissipates 0.1% of 60W given that current. Then use wire tables to tell you what AWG (or mm square) wire has that resistance for 2xL, where L is the length of the power cord to the bulb.

Try that, and post your work so we can check it please. :smile:
WIN_20161016_20_54_06_Pro.jpg

I definitely did something horribly wrong

No, you're fine up through R = 0.24 Ohms. Then you are only left with figuring out what AWG or mm squared wire to use to get that resistance for the length of wire you are given. What length of wire are you given in the problem? How far is it from the power feed to the bulb?

Likes NihalRi
we were given 2m.
berkeman said:
No, you're fine up through R = 0.24 Ohms. Then you are only left with figuring out what AWG or mm squared wire to use to get that resistance for the length of wire you are given. What length of wire are you given in the problem? How far is it from the power feed to the bulb?
WIN_20161016_21_09_22_Pro.jpg

looks like it worked out, thank you so much :D

Likes berkeman

Related to Finding wire with the right resistance

1. How do I determine the right resistance for a wire?

The resistance of a wire is determined by its material, length, and cross-sectional area. You can use the formula R = ρL/A, where R is resistance, ρ is the material's resistivity, L is the length of the wire, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire. Alternatively, you can also use a multimeter to measure the resistance of a wire.

2. What are the factors that affect the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire is affected by its material, length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. Different materials have different resistivities, and longer wires have higher resistance. A larger cross-sectional area will result in lower resistance, while an increase in temperature will also increase the resistance of a wire.

3. How do I find the right wire with the desired resistance?

You can use the formula R = ρL/A to calculate the resistance of a wire with specific material, length, and cross-sectional area. Alternatively, you can also use a resistor color code chart or a wire gauge chart to find the right wire with the desired resistance. These resources provide information on the resistance values of different wire sizes and materials.

4. What is the importance of finding a wire with the right resistance?

The resistance of a wire plays a crucial role in determining the flow of electricity in a circuit. If the wire has too high resistance, it can cause voltage drops and affect the performance of the circuit. On the other hand, if the resistance is too low, it can lead to overheating and damage to the components. Therefore, it is essential to find a wire with the right resistance to ensure the proper functioning of the circuit.

5. Can I change the resistance of a wire?

Yes, the resistance of a wire can be changed by altering its length, cross-sectional area, or temperature. For example, increasing the length of a wire will increase its resistance, while increasing the cross-sectional area will decrease its resistance. Additionally, the resistance of a wire also changes with temperature, so cooling or heating the wire can affect its resistance.