How do I solve for theta in this friction-less pulley problem?

In summary, a block weighing 130 N is on an incline and is held back by a weight of 45 N hanging from a cord attached to the block. To find the angle theta at which the block will slide down the plane at constant speed, use a free body diagram to balance the forces along the incline. This leads to an equation with a constant term, a term proportional to sin(theta), and a term proportional to cos(theta). By changing variables to x = sin(theta) and solving for x, you can use the quadratic formula to find the angle theta. The force of the block parallel to the incline can be found using the right triangles formed by the incline and the normal to the incline. The block
AaronP85
A block weighing 130. N is on an incline. It is held back by a weight of 45.0 N hanging from a cord that passes over a frictionless pulley and is attached to the block on the incline. Find the angle theta at which the block will slide down the plane at constant speed. coefficient of friction is equal to 0.620

My physics teacher gave me that problem thursday and I still haven't had any luck figuring it out. He said that I would have to use the quadratic formula and a trigonometric identity to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find where the forces parallel to the incline balance out, which is where the blocks do not accelerate. The best way for you to find the solution is to draw a free body diagram. Since you are solving for the case where the acceleration is 0, you know that the tension in the string is equal to the weight of the hanging block (45 N). So to balance the forces along the incline, you account for the parallel component of the weight, the friction, and the tension.

You'll end up with an equation with a constant term, a term proportional to sinθ, and a term prportional to cosθ. I suppose there are a number of ways to solve this. For one, you can change variables to say x = sinθ, which would make cosθ=√(1-x^2). You can rearrange the equation and square both sides to get a quadratic equation in x. Solve for x, then use arcsin to solve for θ

Here is a diagram and the info given. I keep running into dead ends :(

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewimage.asp?id_=5928717

Last edited by a moderator:
You know there is a force parallel to the incline and pointing upward of 45 N (the weight on a pully).

You know there is a force directly downward of 130 N (the block's weight).

The incline forms a right triangle in which the incline itself is the hypotenuse and the vertical is a leg. Use that to find the component of the block's weight parallel to the incline.

There is another right triangle in which the normal to the incline is the hypotenus and the vertical is a leg. Use that to find the Normal component of the blocks weight. The static friction force is that normal component times the coefficient of static friction.

You now have three forces: the component of the block's weight DOWN the incline, the 45 N force UP the incline, and the static friction force UP the incline. The block will just start to move when those add to 0.

Atleast this is an extra credit thing. I've looked at my diagram and both of your instructions and still have no idea where to get the force of the block parallel to the incline (Fn in the diagram if you looked)

I had a problem awhile back similar to this but I just can't remember how to start off. He said I will need to use the quadratic formula, and I'm not understanding how to get a quadratic equation out of cos(theta) and sin(theta). Also, the force of the block is throwing me off too. Wouldn't the Force of friction be a segment of the force parallel(45 N) to the incline?

I've been staring at this problem for awhile, but I just can't get my foot stuck in the door. No light bulbs are coming on.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a friction-less pulley?

A friction-less pulley is a mechanical device that consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It is designed to reduce friction and make the lifting or pulling of heavy objects easier.

2. How does a friction-less pulley work?

A friction-less pulley works by using the principle of mechanical advantage. This means that the force applied to one end of the rope or belt is multiplied and transferred to the other end of the rope or belt, making it easier to lift or pull the object.

3. What are the advantages of using a friction-less pulley?

The main advantage of using a friction-less pulley is that it reduces the amount of force needed to lift or pull an object. It also helps to distribute the weight of the object evenly, making it easier to control and move.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a friction-less pulley?

One potential disadvantage of using a friction-less pulley is that it may not be as durable as a pulley with friction. This is because the lack of friction can cause the rope or belt to slip out of the groove, leading to wear and tear over time. Additionally, a friction-less pulley is not suitable for heavy loads as it may not be able to provide enough grip to lift or pull the object.

5. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a friction-less pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a friction-less pulley system can be calculated by dividing the load weight by the effort or force needed to lift or pull the load. The result will be the number of parts of the rope or belt supporting the load. For example, if the load weight is 100 pounds and the effort needed is 20 pounds, the mechanical advantage would be 5.