Finding wavelength from counting crest

In summary, a stone tossed into water causes a disturbance with a duration of 4.0 seconds and a wave speed of 25 cm/s. Using this information, the group distance can be calculated by multiplying the wave speed and impact time. However, there may be a discrepancy in using 12 crests as the number of wavelengths, as 12 crests do not always equal 12 wavelengths.
aryan

Homework Statement

[/B]
A stone tossed into a body of water creates a disturbance at the point of impact that lasts for Dt = 4.0s. Measurements indicates that the wave speed is v = 25 cm/s. (a) Over what distance on the surface of water does the wave group extend? (b) An observer counts 12 wave crests in the group.Use the classical uncertainty relationship to estimate the precision with which the wavelength could be determined.

Homework Equations

delta(x) * delta (k) >= PI[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

the group distance is calculated by multiplying wave speed*the time impact (b) there are 12 crest over the distance of 100 cm hence the wavelength will be 100/12. I am not sure about this is there any mistake in this?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
The only thing I can think of is that 12 crests is not always the same as 12 wavelengths ... sketch a wave with 12 crests and count the wavelengths.

Related to Finding wavelength from counting crest

1. How do I count the crests to find the wavelength?

To find the wavelength, you can count the number of crests that pass a fixed point in a given amount of time. This will give you the frequency, which you can then use to calculate the wavelength using the equation: wavelength = speed of the wave / frequency.

2. Can I use any type of wave to find the wavelength?

Yes, you can use any type of wave, such as electromagnetic waves or mechanical waves, to find the wavelength. However, the method of counting crests may vary depending on the type of wave.

3. What if I cannot physically count the crests?

If you are unable to physically count the crests, you can use a tool such as a ruler or a graph to measure the distance between two consecutive crests. This distance is equal to the wavelength.

4. How does the medium affect the wavelength?

The medium through which the wave travels can affect the wavelength, as different materials can impact the speed of the wave. In general, the denser the medium, the slower the wave will travel, resulting in a shorter wavelength.

5. Can I use the wavelength to determine the speed of the wave?

Yes, you can use the wavelength and frequency of a wave to calculate its speed using the equation: speed of the wave = wavelength x frequency. This relationship is known as the wave equation and is commonly used in physics and engineering.