Finding Voltage from capacitance, current and time

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the current through a 2uF capacitor and sketching the capacitor voltage Vc at different time points. The conversation also mentions the use of formulas for charging and discharging capacitors and the relationship between charge and voltage. The solution involves converting current values into voltage values and using the relationship between charge and voltage for a capacitor.
Weightofananvil

Homework Statement

The question asks
the current through a 2uF capacitor is show. sketch the capacitor voltage Vc between t = 0ms give that the voltage at t=0ms is 0V. Your graph must be correctly scaled with numerical values.

There is a graph included showing a current rise for 0-2 milliseconds. 0 current for 2-4 milliseconds negative current for 3 milliseconds.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand this question is asking for the difference between graphing Ic and Vc. I have the graph drawn and understand the difference between Ic and Vc in a charging and discharging circuit.

Now, I must convert my current values into voltage values and then add it to my graph. This is where I am stuck.

I know that:

Vc=Vo(E^-t/rc) and ic =-Vo/R(E^-t/rc) are used when a capacitor is charging and discharging.
both of those have voltages in the formula, so I can't use them.

I know Q=CV
I also know coulomb is 1s/A
can I change that to be A= Δ Q/Δ T ??
and rearrange it to Q= Δ A x Δ t ??

I can't figure out how to get the current to voltage!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are given the current into or out of a capacitor you know the amount of charge moving into or out of the capacitor (since current is defined to be charge/time). Look up the relationship between charge and voltage for a capacitor. If you know the capacitance and charge at any instant then you can determine the voltage on the capacitor.

You are on the right lines by starting with Q=CV. Then differentiate both sides wrt time.

Related to Finding Voltage from capacitance, current and time

1. How do you calculate voltage using capacitance, current, and time?

To calculate voltage, you can use the equation V = Q/C, where V is voltage, Q is charge, and C is capacitance. You can find the charge by multiplying the current (I) by time (t). Therefore, the equation becomes V = I*t/C.

2. What is the relationship between voltage and capacitance?

The relationship between voltage and capacitance is inverse. This means that as capacitance increases, voltage decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is represented by the equation V = Q/C.

3. Can you find voltage without knowing the capacitance?

No, you cannot find voltage without knowing the capacitance. The capacitance is a necessary factor in the equation V = Q/C. Without it, the voltage cannot be calculated accurately.

4. How does current affect the voltage in a circuit with capacitance?

In a circuit with capacitance, the current affects the voltage by determining the amount of charge that flows through the circuit. The higher the current, the more charge flows, resulting in a higher voltage. This is shown in the equation V = I*t/C, where I is the current.

5. Is there a maximum voltage that can be reached in a circuit with capacitance?

Yes, there is a maximum voltage that can be reached in a circuit with capacitance. This maximum voltage is determined by the capacitance and the amount of charge that can be stored in the capacitor. Going above this maximum voltage can damage the circuit or the capacitor.