Finding voltage across a resistor in a circuit

In summary, the voltage across the 4Ω resistor was calculated by using the potential divider rule after reducing all the resistors into one. The voltage drop across the 4Ω resistor was found to be 12.202V.
nothing909
Find the voltage across the 4Ω resistor (resistor 3).

This is all show in the pictures provided:

I have started by reducing all the resistors into one resistor, but please take a look over my working and tell me if it's all correct.

After reducing all the resistors into one, I used the resistance to calculate the supply current.

Then, with the supply current, I calculate the voltage over the first resistor. I then subtracted the first resistors voltage with the supply voltage to work out resistor 2's voltage.

At this point I'm stuck. I don't understand where to go from here to work out the voltage over the 4Ω resistor. I know I haven't got long to go

Attachments

• IMG_0480.JPG
    IMG_0480.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_0481.JPG
    IMG_0481.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_0484.JPG
    IMG_0484.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the potential divider rule ?

PS: I checked up to image 484 and I think your answer at that stage 2 + 2.968 is correct.

CWatters said:
Are you familiar with the potential divider rule ?
no, can you explain, please?

Ok if not familiar with the potential divider rule (yet) I will suggest another method of proceeding...

With reference to image 484. You have calculated the voltage on the 2.968R resistor is 17.922V. So mark that voltage on the earlier drawing 483. In fact you can pretend/draw a new voltage source exists across the 2.968R resistor.

You will be able to ignore (erase) components to the left of the new voltage source and work out the voltages and currents on the right of the new voltage source.

If you don't understand let me know and I will try and mark up your drawing.

CWatters said:
Ok if not familiar with the potential divider rule (yet) I will suggest another method of proceeding...

With reference to image 484. You have calculated the voltage on the 2.968R resistor is 17.922V. So mark that voltage on the earlier drawing 483. In fact you can pretend/draw a new voltage source exists across the 2.968R resistor.

You will be able to ignore (erase) components to the left of the new voltage source and work out the voltages and currents on the right of the new voltage source.

If you don't understand let me know and I will try and mark up your drawing.
Can you explain a little more? Explain the potential difference maybe, see if I can understand. What do you mean "you can pretend/draw a new voltage source?"

Hey nothing909,

I've you out with a very similar problem in one of your previous posts. You can look at that for more guidance

Ok this is what I meant about marking up your drawing 483...

IMG_0483a.JPG

Does that suggest a way you can work out the voltage across the 4R?

donpacino said:
Hey nothing909,

I've you out with a very similar problem in one of your previous posts. You can look at that for more guidance
I have looked at it. The only reason I'm getting confused with this is because there's so much extra resistors, it's just confusing me.

CWatters said:
Does that suggest a way you can work out the voltage across the 4R?
Umm, not really, I still don't understand.

The voltage across the 4 ohm resistor is 12 (or around that). That's the answer, I just don't know how to get it.

Ok you calculated that the voltage across the 2.968 resistor was 17.922V.

So then working backwards through your drawings..

Start at the bottom of image 483 (the one I modified)...
The 2.968R came from a 6R and a 5.875R in parallel. So the 17.922V is also the voltage you would measure on the 6R and the 5.875R.

Then look at the top of image 483..
The 5.875R came from the 4R and the 1.875R in series. So you will also have 17.922 across the series combination of the 4R and the 1.875R .

nothing909 said:
The voltage across the 4 ohm resistor is 12 (or around that). That's the answer, I just don't know how to get it.

You have 17.922V across the 5.875R so the current through it is?

CWatters said:
You have 17.922V across the 5.875R so the current through it is?

CWatters said:
Ok you calculated that the voltage across the 2.968 resistor was 17.922V.

So then working backwards through your drawings..

Start at the bottom of image 483 (the one I modified)...
The 2.968R came from a 6R and a 5.875R in parallel. So the 17.922V is also the voltage you would measure on the 6R and the 5.875R.

Then look at the top of image 483..
The 5.875R came from the 4R and the 1.875R in series. So you will also have 17.922 across the series combination of the 4R and the 1.875R .
ohhh, do i just do voltage division between the 4 ohm resistor and the 1.875?

The same 3.051A flows through both the 4R and the 1.875R as they are in series so the voltage drop across the 4R is?

nothing909 said:
ohhh, do i just do voltage division between the 4 ohm resistor and the 1.875?

Yes. If you are familiar with the voltage divider :-)

CWatters said:
The same 3.051A flows through both the 4R and the 1.875R as they are in series so the voltage drop across the 4R is?
14.04?

CWatters said:
Yes. If you are familiar with the voltage divider :-)
so...

17.922x4/5.875 = 12.202v

ye, is that correct? that's the voltage across the 4 ohm resistor?

Sorry we cross posted there.

Correct. You can also do...

3.051 * 4 = 12.202

thank you, i knew it was easy as that. took me long enough to try and figure out how to reduce all the resistors into one. xD thanks anyways.

Related to Finding voltage across a resistor in a circuit

1. How do I calculate the voltage across a resistor in a circuit?

To calculate the voltage across a resistor in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). This can be represented as V = I x R. You will need to know the value of the current and the resistance in the circuit to calculate the voltage across the resistor.

2. What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

Voltage is measured in volts (V), which is a unit of electrical potential difference. It represents the amount of electrical force or energy required to move one unit of electric charge from one point to another in an electrical circuit.

3. Can I use a multimeter to measure the voltage across a resistor in a circuit?

Yes, a multimeter can be used to measure the voltage across a resistor in a circuit. Set the multimeter to the DC voltage setting and connect the red probe to the point where you want to measure the voltage and the black probe to the reference point (usually ground). The multimeter will display the voltage in volts.

4. Why is it important to find the voltage across a resistor in a circuit?

Finding the voltage across a resistor in a circuit is important because it helps us understand how the circuit is functioning. It can also help us determine if the resistor is the correct value and if there are any issues with the circuit, such as too much current flowing through the resistor.

5. Can the voltage across a resistor in a circuit ever be greater than the applied voltage?

No, the voltage across a resistor in a circuit can never be greater than the applied voltage. This is because the resistor acts as a barrier to the flow of current, causing a voltage drop across it. The total voltage in a circuit must be equal to the applied voltage, so any voltage drop across a resistor will be subtracted from the applied voltage.