Finding Velocity of Particle at Wheel Edge

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the velocity of a particle relative to the center of mass and how it relates to the velocity of the center of mass. It also mentions how to find the velocity of a point at a specific location on a wheel and how it involves trigonometry.
klandestine
I know that because of the rolling constraint, V(cm)=R*w [w=omega]. Also, if I want to find the velocity of particle i, i can sum V(cm) and V(i, relative to the center of mass). But how do I determine V(i, rel)? For example, if I am given the speed and radius of a wheel, how fast is a point at the very front edge of the wheel going? I keep trying to use these equations, but I keep coming up with 2wR, which I know is the velocity for the TOP of the wheel.

Physics news on Phys.org
Realize that the velocity of a particle relative to the cm is a vector whose magnitude is given by [itex]\omega R[/itex] and whose direction is tangent to the wheel. So, if the velocity of the cm is [itex]V \hat{x}[/itex], then the velocity of a point at the front edge relative to the cm is [itex]-V \hat{y}[/itex]. The velocity relative to the ground of that point is [itex]V \hat{x} -V\hat{y}[/itex], giving a speed of [itex]\sqrt{2} V = \sqrt{2} \omega R[/itex].

ah-ha!

thank you! so, if i wanted to know the velocity of a point at a more arbitrary location, i would have to use trigonometry, right?

Right. You'd have to add the two velocities as vectors, which will involve a bit of trig.

Related to Finding Velocity of Particle at Wheel Edge

1. What is the velocity of a particle at the edge of a wheel?

The velocity of a particle at the edge of a wheel depends on the rotational speed of the wheel and the radius of the wheel. It can be calculated using the formula v = ωr, where v is the velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the wheel.

2. How do you calculate the angular velocity of a wheel?

The angular velocity of a wheel can be calculated by dividing the rotational speed by the radius of the wheel. It can also be calculated by dividing the arc length of the wheel's circumference by the time it takes to complete one revolution.

3. Can the velocity of a particle at the edge of a wheel be negative?

Yes, the velocity of a particle at the edge of a wheel can be negative if the wheel is rotating in the opposite direction. This means that the particle is moving in the opposite direction of the wheel's rotation.

4. How does the radius of the wheel affect the velocity of a particle at the edge?

The radius of the wheel has a direct impact on the velocity of a particle at the edge. As the radius increases, the velocity also increases, assuming the rotational speed remains constant.

5. Can the velocity of a particle at the edge of a wheel change over time?

Yes, the velocity of a particle at the edge of a wheel can change over time if the rotational speed or radius of the wheel changes. If the angular velocity increases, the velocity of the particle will also increase, and vice versa.