Finding velocity given radius and acceleration

In summary, when a car travels over a hump in the road with a radius of 20 meters and the occupants feel a net acceleration of 3.8 m/s2, the car must be traveling at a speed of 8.718 m/s. This calculation is based on the equations a = v2/r and v = √ar. However, it is not completely clear what acceleration the occupants would feel on a flat road, but it is likely related to the forces felt.
KLI897

Homework Statement

A car travels over a hump in the road of radius 20 meters. How fast is the car traveling if the occupants feel a net acceleration of 3.8 m/s2

Homework Equations

a = v2/r
v = √ar

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this but according to my teacher this isn't correct.
v = √(3.8 m/s2)(20 m)
v = 8.718 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
KLI897 said:

Homework Statement

A car travels over a hump in the road of radius 20 meters. How fast is the car traveling if the occupants feel a net acceleration of 3.8 m/s2

Homework Equations

a = v2/r
v = √ar

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this but according to my teacher this isn't correct.
v = √(3.8 m/s2)(20 m)
v = 8.718 m/s
What acceleration would the occupants feel on a flat road? I agree it is not completely clear, but I would guess you are to interpret the felt acceleration in terms of the forces felt.

Related to Finding velocity given radius and acceleration

1. How do you calculate velocity given radius and acceleration?

Velocity can be calculated by multiplying the radius by the acceleration and taking the square root of the product. The formula is V = √(r x a).

2. What is the unit of measurement for velocity?

The unit of measurement for velocity is meters per second (m/s).

3. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative. Negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction that was chosen as the reference point.

4. How does acceleration affect velocity?

The greater the acceleration, the faster the velocity will change. This means that the object will speed up or slow down at a faster rate.

5. What other variables can affect an object's velocity?

Other variables that can affect an object's velocity include air resistance, friction, and external forces such as gravity or a push/pull force.