Finding velocity equation for object moving in 2 dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses a 4kg object traveling at 40m/s^2 along the x-axis, influenced by a constant force of 20N. The direction of the force is not specified and there is confusion over whether the object is accelerating or moving at a constant velocity. The conversation ends with the realization that the question is poorly stated and the speaker apologizes.
Wumbolog
A fkdkdkel

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wumbolog said:
A 4kg object traveling at 40m/s^2
Travelling at 40m/s, right?
along the x-axis at t=1 is influenced by a constant force of 20N.
Which direction does the force act?

haruspex said:
Travelling at 40m/s, right?

Which direction does the force act?

Its acceleration is 40 m/s^2 at t=1 and its moving to the right.

The OP says the 4 kg object is traveling at 40 m/s^2. Usually, the velocity of an object is given, not its acceleration. Is this how the problem was originally specified? 'Traveling' implies velocity, otherwise, one would say an object is accelerating at X m/s^2.

SteamKing said:
The OP says the 4 kg object is traveling at 40 m/s^2. Usually, the velocity of an object is given, not its acceleration. Is this how the problem was originally specified? 'Traveling' implies velocity, otherwise, one would say an object is accelerating at X m/s^2.

Yes, I meant accelerating, I apologize. I "made" this problem to see what I could do given the acceleration

Wumbolog said:
Yes, I meant accelerating, I apologize. I "made" this problem to see what I could do given the acceleration
In specifying a problem, you can't mix cause and affect like this. You can either state the acceleration (and ask for something which can be deduced from that, like position, velocity..) or you can specify forces and let the acceleration be deduced.
And you still haven't said which direction the 20N acts in.

Nevermind all, this is a stupid, poorly stated question. I apologize

Related to Finding velocity equation for object moving in 2 dimensions

1. What is the equation for finding the velocity of an object moving in 2 dimensions?

The equation for finding the velocity of an object moving in 2 dimensions is v = √(vx^2 + vy^2), where vx is the horizontal velocity and vy is the vertical velocity.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion, while speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's motion.

3. Can the velocity of an object in 2 dimensions change?

Yes, the velocity of an object in 2 dimensions can change if there is a change in either the horizontal or vertical velocity, or both.

4. How is the velocity of an object in 2 dimensions affected by forces?

The velocity of an object in 2 dimensions can be affected by forces such as gravity, friction, and air resistance. These forces can change the magnitude and direction of the object's velocity.

5. How can I calculate the velocity of an object in 2 dimensions from its position and time data?

To calculate the velocity of an object in 2 dimensions from its position and time data, you can use the following equation: v = (xf - xi)/(tf - ti), where xf and xi are the final and initial positions in the x-direction, and tf and ti are the final and initial times.