Finding velocity components of point in the middle of a tricycle

In summary, the problem involves finding the component velocity of a point P in its local coordinate system, which is turning with the vehicle. This can be achieved by using the angular velocity (ω) and the distance between the center of rotation and point P (q). The speed of movement in P can be calculated using the formula vP = q * ω, and the x and y components can be found using the formulas vPX = VP * sin(β) and vPY = VP * cos(β).
Krus

Homework Statement

I have a tricycle with a following data (see attachment):
  • Distance (d) between center of front wheel (F) and center between rear wheels (C) = 325 mm
  • Velocity of front wheel (VF) = 50 mm/s
  • Angle of front wheel (α) = changing between -90;90
  • Distance between point C and P = 129 mm
Out of this data, I calculated the angular velocity by using the following formula:
ω = (sin(α) * vF) / d

What I need, is the component velocity of a point between the front wheel and the center between rear wheels (P) in its local coordinate system. This local coordinate system is for sure turning with the vehicle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To calculate the velocity in point P i used the angular velocity and the distance between C and P:

vP = ω * 129 mm

This is for sure right, if α = ±90. But If α = 0, my vP is also 0, which can't be.
So somehow the velocity connected with the front wheel angle α must have an influence as well.

Finally, I need to split the velocity of point P into its X- and Y-component.

Thanks for your help.
Krus

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 502
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Krus, and welcome to PF.

Your problem statement
What I need, is the component velocity of a point between the front wheel and the center between rear wheels (P) in its local coordinate system. This local coordinate system is for sure turning with the vehicle.
surprises me. In the local coordinate system of the vehicle, P isn't moving at all. :)

Hi :)

OK, I'm sorry.. The description was maybe a bit wrong.
I try to explain what I need in some examples:

If vF = 50 mm/s and α = 0, then the y-component of the velocity would also be 50 mm/s, x-component and ω is then 0.

If vF = 50 mm/s and α = 90, then the vehicle is turning around its point C -> x-component and ω can't be 0 in point P.

If vF = 50 mm/s and α = 45, then the vehicle drives in a circle around a center point, which is outside of the vehicle. Then there is a smaller ω than when α = 90, but I have a higher y-component velocity.

I mean in point C, can only exist a y-velocity and an angular velocity. It can't happen that there is a velocity in x-direction. But in point P it is different, because it's not the turning centre.

So there must be a formula, how to calculate the speed in components (x-,y- and angular) for point P.

Sorry, It's kind of difficult to describe the problem :(

I suggest figuring out from the geometry where the centre of rotation is. P then describes an arc about that point.
Krus said:
the component velocity of a point between the front wheel and the center between rear wheels (P) in its local coordinate system.
I guess you mean the co-ordinate system fixed on the ground at the point where P happens to be at this instant, with the y-axis along CP.

haruspex said:
I guess you mean the co-ordinate system fixed on the ground at the point where P happens to be at this instant, with the y-axis along CP
Yes, you're right, that's what I mean.:)

Do you have any Idea how to get these velocities?
For sure I can get the center of rotation out of the geometry, but how to use these data to get the velocities?

Thanks

Krus said:
For sure I can get the center of rotation out of the geometry, but how to use these data to get the velocities?
Can you figure out the angular velocity?
If you draw a radius from P to the centre of rotation, how long is that radius and what is the direction of movement of P in relation to that?

Yes...

The angular velocity and all other values (see image) are the following:

ω = (VF * sin(α)) / d
r = d / tan(α)

length of radius:
q
= √(r2 + CP2)

direction of movement of P:
β
= atan(CP / r)

Attachments

• Untitled_1.png
    Untitled_1.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 565
Krus said:
Yes...

The angular velocity and all other values (see image) are the following:

ω = (VF * sin(α)) / d
r = d / tan(α)

length of radius:
q
= √(r2 + CP2)

direction of movement of P:
β
= atan(CP / r)
Yes to all those. I was rather hoping you'd see how to finish it from there.
What is the speed in the direction of movement? What are the x and y components of that?

Well, i guess the following:

Speed of movement in P:
vP = q * ω

Components:
vPX = VP * sin(β)
vPY = VP * cos(β)

Right? ;)

Krus said:
Well, i guess the following:

Speed of movement in P:
vP = q * ω

Components:
vPX = VP * sin(β)
vPY = VP * cos(β)

Right? ;)
Yes, that all looks right.

Related to Finding velocity components of point in the middle of a tricycle

1. What is the purpose of finding the velocity components of a point in the middle of a tricycle?

Finding the velocity components of a point in the middle of a tricycle allows us to understand the motion and speed of the tricycle as a whole. This information can be used for various purposes such as designing more efficient tricycles or analyzing the forces acting on the tricycle while in motion.

2. How do you calculate the velocity components of a point in the middle of a tricycle?

The velocity components can be calculated by using vector analysis and considering the motion of the tricycle in three dimensions. This involves breaking down the velocity into its horizontal and vertical components and taking into account the direction and magnitude of each component.

3. Can the velocity components of a point in the middle of a tricycle change over time?

Yes, the velocity components of a point in the middle of a tricycle can change over time. This can be due to various factors such as changes in speed, direction, and terrain. It is important to continuously analyze and recalculate the velocity components to accurately understand the motion of the tricycle.

4. How can the velocity components of a point in the middle of a tricycle be used in real-world applications?

The velocity components can be used in various real-world applications such as designing more efficient tricycles, analyzing the forces acting on the tricycle, and predicting the trajectory of the tricycle. This information can also be used in sports science to improve the performance of tricycle athletes.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the velocity components of a point in the middle of a tricycle?

One limitation is that the calculation of velocity components assumes the tricycle is moving in a straight line. In reality, tricycles may experience curved motion or changes in direction, which can affect the accuracy of the velocity components. Additionally, external factors such as wind resistance and friction may also impact the tricycle's motion and velocity components.