Finding Velocity at which mass being spun on string will bre

In summary: Sorry I'm a little confused on using this website. I reposted using the right format on a new thread.
Nikki1357
This is a question for the setup of a lab. I understand that the string must be tied to the mass and then spun in an overhead circle. A cylindrical tube with non-sharp edges will be used to spin the mass. Then, the string will be pulled through the mass, which would reduce the radius and consequently cause the velocity to increase. At one point the string would break. Since the radius at which the string broke is known and the time can be found the velocity could be found, provided the acceleration was known. Velocity=acceleration*times. What is the most efficient method to find acceleration? Can I assume there is a constant angular acceleration because it is traveling the same circle in the same amount of time? But will it change because the radius of the circle in smaller? I have a good understanding of F=mv^2/r and F=mw^2r. I also understand that the force of tension is the centripetal force that is acting inward and causing the acceleration. I just don't understand how to collect data to determine what velocity the mass was spinning at when the string broke. Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I meant the string will be pulled through the tube that is being used to spin the mass.

Nikki1357 said:
This is a question for the setup of a lab. I understand that the string must be tied to the mass and then spun in an overhead circle. A cylindrical tube with non-sharp edges will be used to spin the mass. Then, the string will be pulled through the mass, which would reduce the radius and consequently cause the velocity to increase. At one point the string would break. Since the radius at which the string broke is known and the time can be found the velocity could be found, provided the acceleration was known. Velocity=acceleration*times. What is the most efficient method to find acceleration? Can I assume there is a constant angular acceleration because it is traveling the same circle in the same amount of time? But will it change because the radius of the circle in smaller? I have a good understanding of F=mv^2/r and F=mw^2r. I also understand that the force of tension is the centripetal force that is acting inward and causing the acceleration. I just don't understand how to collect data to determine what velocity the mass was spinning at when the string broke. Please help!
It is very hard to help you when you delete the Homework Help Template when you post here asking for help. Could you please re-post using the HH Template?

berkeman said:
It is very hard to help you when you delete the Homework Help Template when you post here asking for help. Could you please re-post using the HH Template?

Sorry I'm a little confused on using this website. I reposted using the right format on a new thread. I apologize for bumping! I didn't understand what that meant.

The Template has three sections. The Problem Statement, the Relevant Equations, and your Attempt at the Solution. Can you re-organize your post to fill out those three sections? :smile:

Related to Finding Velocity at which mass being spun on string will bre

1. What is the formula for finding the velocity at which a mass being spun on a string will break?

The formula for finding the velocity at which a mass being spun on a string will break is v = √(mgR/2πm), where v is the velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and R is the radius of the circular motion.

2. How does the mass of the object affect the velocity at which it will break?

The mass of the object directly affects the velocity at which it will break. As the mass increases, the velocity required for the string to break also increases. This is because a larger mass requires a higher centripetal force to maintain the circular motion, which in turn requires a higher velocity.

3. What role does gravity play in determining the velocity at which a mass being spun on a string will break?

Gravity plays a crucial role in determining the velocity at which a mass being spun on a string will break. This is because gravity provides the centripetal force that keeps the object in circular motion. As the force of gravity increases, the velocity required to maintain the circular motion also increases.

4. How does the radius of the circular motion affect the velocity at which the string will break?

The radius of the circular motion also plays a role in determining the velocity at which the string will break. As the radius increases, the velocity required to maintain the circular motion decreases. This is because a larger radius means a larger distance for the object to travel in the same amount of time, thus requiring a lower velocity to maintain the circular motion.

5. What other factors may affect the velocity at which a mass being spun on a string will break?

Other factors that may affect the velocity at which a mass being spun on a string will break include the material and thickness of the string, as well as any external forces acting on the object. Additionally, the shape and surface of the object being spun may also play a role in determining the velocity at which it will break.