Finding Vector potential due to an infinite cylinder?

In summary: Here's the thing. If haruspex is right and the only intent is to find the vector potential A with B already known, then you could solve the DE B = del x A, similar to what was in your link. However, this is redundant nonsense. The reason A is solved for in the first place is to facilitate solving for B! And as I said, solving for A given the geometry and current density distribution is in this case horribly hard. So to sum up I would say yes, this question is either pointless or impossible to solve.
BeerScience
Hi there,
2nd year student, absolutely stumped on this don't even know where to begin.

"Determine the vector potential due to an infinite cylinder of radius, R, carrying a uniform current
density, j. Use this to describe the magnetic field inside a current carrying wire

I am using this article
http://galileo.math.siu.edu/mikesullivan/Courses/251/S12/vpot.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, in your link F is already given & they want you to find the vector potential of F.

In your problem on the other hand B is not given, it is to be derived from the vector potential: B = del x A where A is the vector potential.

There is an integral expression for finding A, given the current distribution and the location of the point where A and B are to be determined. What is it?

Warning: this looks to be a tough problem!

rude man said:
In your problem on the other hand B is not given, it is to be derived from the vector potential: B = del x A where A is the vector potential.
That's not how I read the question. It does ask for the vector potential, so the cited paper could be useful. The missing part is that you need to compute the vector field first by some other means.

haruspex said:
That's not how I read the question. It does ask for the vector potential, so the cited paper could be useful. The missing part is that you need to compute the vector field first by some other means.

I guess we just don't read the same way.

If you can cheat and get B first, which is a piece of cake here obviously, then what would be the point of describing the B field ex post facto using the vector potential?

rude man said:
what would be the point of describing the B field ex post facto using the vector potential?
The question does not ask for that to be done. It asks us to find a vector potential (by whatever means).

haruspex said:
The question does not ask for that to be done. It asks us to find a vector potential (by whatever means).

Yes, and then use it to describe the B field which you have already found? Ho ho ho.

I do have to admit, the problem as I read it is prohibitively difficult, so maybe it is just an exercise in redundancy.

Thanks for your help guys. I couldn't find an answers. Turns out heaps of guys in my class couldn't get it. Do you think this is too advanced for a second year physics degree?

BeerScience said:
Thanks for your help guys. I couldn't find an answers. Turns out heaps of guys in my class couldn't get it. Do you think this is too advanced for a second year physics degree?

Here's the thing. If haruspex is right and the only intent is to find the vector potential A with B already known, then you could solve the DE B = del x A, similar to what was in your link.

However, this is redundant nonsense. The reason A is solved for in the first place is to facilitate solving for B! And as I said, solving for A given the geometry and current density distribution is in this case horribly hard. I mean, very if not too hard even for an advanced e & m course. So to sum up I would say yes, this question is either pointless or impossible to solve.

Related to Finding Vector potential due to an infinite cylinder?

1. What is the formula for finding the vector potential due to an infinite cylinder?

The formula for finding the vector potential due to an infinite cylinder is A = μ/4π * ∫(J(r')/|r-r'|)dτ, where μ is the magnetic permeability, J(r') is the current density, and r and r' are the position vectors.

2. How do you determine the direction of the vector potential for an infinite cylinder?

The direction of the vector potential for an infinite cylinder is determined by the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current and curl your fingers. The direction your fingers curl is the direction of the vector potential.

3. Can you find the vector potential at any point outside of the infinite cylinder?

Yes, the formula for finding the vector potential due to an infinite cylinder can be used to find the vector potential at any point outside of the cylinder. However, the value of the vector potential will be zero at points that lie on the axis of the cylinder.

4. How does the vector potential change with distance from the infinite cylinder?

The vector potential decreases with distance from the infinite cylinder. This is because the magnetic field generated by the cylinder decreases with distance and the vector potential is directly proportional to the magnetic field.

5. Can the vector potential due to an infinite cylinder be negative?

Yes, the vector potential can have negative values depending on the orientation of the current and the direction of the position vector. The magnitude of the vector potential is more important than the sign, as it is the curl of the vector potential that determines the magnetic field.