Finding Vector Lengths: Can't figure out what I am doing wrong

In summary, using SOH CAH TOA, the y-component of vector B can be calculated by taking the cosine of the angle between vector A and the x-axis (42.7 degrees), multiplying it by the length of vector A (6.70 cm), and then taking the negative of that value. This is because the y-component of vector B is pointing downwards, opposite to the positive direction of the y-axis.
lanzjohn

Homework Statement

The diagram below shows two vectors, A and B, and their angles relative to the coordinate axes as indicated.
prob01a_vectors2.gif

DATA: alpha = 42.7 degrees,
beta = 60.0 degrees,
A = 6.70 cm.
The vector A - B is parallel to the -x axis (points due West). Calculate the y component of vector B.

Homework Equations

SOH CAH TOA

The Attempt at a Solution

So I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I thought I knew these basics! ARG Anyway I got one chance left. So please let me know if I'm right

Well I found the angle of the triangle I am trying to find vecor y for. I am using the right triangle Since the sum vector (A-B) has no y-component, vector A must have the same y-component as vector B.

So:
90-42.7=47.3

cos47.3 = x/6.7
6.7 * cos47.3=x

Answer:
x=4.54367 cm

And that's it! BUT NOOOOO its not right ha. Is it suppose to be -4.54367cm because the component y is going y-? Or maybe I am just pig headed and am missing a major part in the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
lanzjohn said:
Is it suppose to be -4.54367cm because the component y is going y-?
Yes, that's my guess. The y-component of vector B is point down, so that component is negative.

If you solve this problem using triangles (which is perfectly okay to do), you need to go back later and look at the vector to keep track of the directions of the components. Hypothetically, if A and/or B reversed directions (180o), you would still end up with the same triangles. The lengths of the sides of the triangles involved would be identical to the case where directions were not reversed. So after you calculate the lengths of a given side, you need to go back and look at the vector to determine which way that side is pointing.

Related to Finding Vector Lengths: Can't figure out what I am doing wrong

1. How do I find the length of a vector?

To find the length of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the length of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, you can use the formula: |v| = √(x² + y² + z²).

2. What is the difference between magnitude and length of a vector?

Magnitude and length are essentially the same thing when referring to a vector. They both describe the size or extent of the vector. However, magnitude is often used in physics to refer to the size of a vector in terms of its numerical value, while length typically refers to the physical distance represented by the vector.

3. Can I find the length of a vector with more than three components?

Yes, the formula for finding the length of a vector can be extended to vectors with any number of components. You would simply add the squares of each component and take the square root of the sum.

4. How do I calculate the length of a vector in three-dimensional space?

The process for finding the length of a vector in three-dimensional space is the same as for a two-dimensional vector. You would use the formula |v| = √(x² + y² + z²) and plug in the values for the x, y, and z components of the vector.

5. What are some common mistakes when calculating vector lengths?

Some common mistakes when calculating vector lengths include forgetting to take the square root of the sum of the squares of the components, using the absolute value of the vector instead of the magnitude, and making errors in the calculations for the individual components. It is always helpful to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct formula.