Finding UO2 Enrichment Value for MCNP5 Input File

In summary, the gentleman says he has seen the data but doesn't trust wikipedia. He recommends using a textbook or other reliable source. There are IAEA Technical Documents (TECDOCs) which list the density of solid uranium dioxide.
AlbeFerS
Hi there,

I´m just finishing an input file for MCNP5 and I can´t find a value of density for UO2 enriched to 3,25% - 3,6%.

Does anyone know it or know where I can find it?

Thanks in advance!

(P.D.: wikipedia is not my friend... )

Engineering news on Phys.org
The theoretical density (TD, 100% dense, or no porosity) of UO2 is approximately 10.96 to 10.98 g/cm3, or 10960 to 10980 kg/m3. In practice, there is always some porosity in a polycrystalline pellet. For a few decades, in LWR fuel, we have used about 95% dense UO2 (10410 kg/m3), but some fuel is made with densities > 95%, and often in the range of 96 to 97% TD (10520 to 10630 kg/m3), and in some cases in might go up to close to 98% TD. It depends on the reactor and cycle/core design.

Likes AlbeFerS
SteamKing said:
Not even

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_dioxide

He seems pretty friendly.
Thanks.
I meant that I had seen it and that I don´t trust wikipedia anymore (for this kind of data, even though this time is approximately right)

Last edited:
AlbeFerS said:
Thanks.
I meant that I had seen it and that I don´t trust wikipedia anymore (for this kind of data, even though this time is approximately right)
If one is doing work or school work, one should go to a textbook or other reliable source.

For nuclear fuel properties, one can use MATPRO.

I'll post some links to some technical documents once the websites are up.

The IAEA and INL have changed their websites, so old link may not be viable anymore.

IAEA Technical Documents (TECDOCs) are available here:
http://www-pub.iaea.org/books/IAEABooks/Series/34/Technical-Documents

See -
http://www-pub.iaea.org/books/IAEAB...and-Fuel-Rod-Design-for-Water-Cooled-Reactors

Specifically - http://www-pub.iaea.org/books/IAEAB...Light-Water-Reactors-and-Heavy-Water-Reactors
Section 6.1.1.10 Density of Solid UO2

Last edited:
Likes AlbeFerS
I´ll check it out.

Thank you again.

Related to Finding UO2 Enrichment Value for MCNP5 Input File

1. How do I determine the UO2 enrichment value for my MCNP5 input file?

The UO2 enrichment value can be determined by calculating the weight percent of uranium-235 in the UO2 fuel. This can be done using the equation: Enrichment (wt%) = mass of U-235 / mass of UO2 x 100%. This value can then be inputted into the MCNP5 input file.

2. What factors affect the UO2 enrichment value?

The UO2 enrichment value can be affected by factors such as the type of reactor, desired power output, and fuel cycle plan. These factors can impact the amount of U-235 needed in the UO2 fuel to sustain a chain reaction and produce the desired energy output.

3. Can the UO2 enrichment value be adjusted during reactor operation?

Yes, the UO2 enrichment value can be adjusted during reactor operation. This is known as online enrichment adjustment and is commonly used in reactors to maintain a steady power output and prolong the life of the fuel.

4. How accurate are the calculations for determining the UO2 enrichment value?

The accuracy of the calculations for determining the UO2 enrichment value depends on the accuracy of the input parameters and assumptions made. It is important to use reliable data and make realistic assumptions to obtain an accurate value.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the UO2 enrichment value?

The UO2 enrichment value does not pose any direct safety concerns. However, it is important to accurately determine this value to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the reactor. An incorrect value could lead to unexpected reactions and potential safety hazards.