Finding unknown terminal value of integral with TI-89

In summary, to find the unknown terminal value of an integral using a TI-89 calculator, you will need to enter the function into the calculator and use the graph to locate the point where it intersects the x-axis. This is important for accurately solving mathematical problems involving integrals, such as finding the area under a curve or the volume of a solid. The TI-89 can be used to find the unknown terminal value of any integral, including definite integrals, but may have limitations for more complex functions and requires careful input and mode selection for accurate results.
autodidude
Given

[tex]\int_2^k \! (3x+4) \, \mathrm{d} x = 43.5[/tex]

how would I use the TI-89 to solve for k?

Computer science news on Phys.org
hey guys! :rolleyes:

(i don't have a TI-89, but …)

surely someone can answer this? :smile:

Related to Finding unknown terminal value of integral with TI-89

1. How do I use the TI-89 to find the unknown terminal value of an integral?

To find the unknown terminal value of an integral using a TI-89 calculator, you will first need to enter the function into the calculator by pressing the "Apps" key and selecting "Calculus Tools". Then, select "Indefinite Integral" and enter the function. Once the function is entered, press the "F3" key to view the graph. From the graph, you can find the unknown terminal value by locating the point where the graph intersects the x-axis.

2. What is the purpose of finding the unknown terminal value of an integral?

The unknown terminal value of an integral is used to determine the exact value of the integral, which is important in solving various mathematical problems. It allows for more accurate calculations and can be used to find the area under a curve, the volume of a solid, and many other applications in mathematics and science.

3. Can I find the unknown terminal value of any integral using a TI-89?

Yes, the TI-89 calculator can be used to find the unknown terminal value of any integral, as long as the function is entered correctly and the calculator is in the correct mode. However, some integrals may be more complex and require additional steps or techniques to find the unknown terminal value.

4. Can I use the TI-89 to find the unknown terminal value of a definite integral?

Yes, the TI-89 calculator can also be used to find the unknown terminal value of a definite integral. To do this, you will need to enter the function and the limits of integration into the calculator and then follow the same steps as finding the unknown terminal value of an indefinite integral.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the unknown terminal value with a TI-89?

While the TI-89 calculator is a powerful tool for finding the unknown terminal value of an integral, there are some limitations. It may not be able to solve all integrals and may require manual calculations for more complex functions. Additionally, it is important to ensure that the function is entered correctly and that the calculator is in the correct mode to avoid incorrect results.