Finding Uncertainty of # Cans in Pool

• Thread starter Echoeric666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, the volume of the pool is 165 m^3 and the uncertainty in the volume is 20.6 m^3. The volume of the soda can is 905 cm^3 and the uncertainty in the volume is 251 cm^3. It takes Joe 2 seconds to transfer one can of water into the pool. The estimated time to fill the entire pool is 3.6*10^5 seconds. The uncertainty in this time is dependent on the uncertainty in the volume of the soda can and the volume of the pool. A possible equation to calculate the uncertainty in time is (uncertainty in volume of soda can/volume of pool) * time to fill pool.
Echoeric666
What is the volume of the pool?
165 m^3

What is the uncertainty in the volume of the pool? Express it in terms of cubic meters.
20.6 m^3

Joe's supervisor says, "Okay, Joe, your first job is the fill the pool. We used to use a hose, but it sprang a leak. Instead, you'll have to fill this soda can at the faucet over there, then dump it into the pool." The soda can is a cylinder 18 cm long and 4 cm in radius, with an uncertainty of 0.5 cm in each dimension.

What is the volume of the soda can?
905 cm^3

What is the uncertainty in the volume of the soda can?
251 cm^3

It takes Joe 2 seconds to transfer one can of water into the pool. How long will it take Joe to fill the entire pool?
3.6*10^5 s

What is the uncertainty in this time?

?

Homework Equations

I am struggling to come up with a reasonable equation to solve for uncertainty in this time (with the ? above)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried 1.4*10^5 and 1.6*10^5...I figured it seemed off that uncertainty is 50% 3.6*10^5 seconds from above (the time it takes Joe to fill the entire pool).

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried 1.4*10^5 seconds because when I rounded the length of the soda can up to 19 cm and used 1.4*10^5 seconds to fill the pool, I got an answer of 3.8*10^5 seconds, which is 0.2*10^5 seconds greater than 3.6*10^5 seconds. However, I am unsure if this is the correct approach or if there is a better equation to use. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Possible equation: uncertainty in time = (uncertainty in volume of soda can/volume of pool) * time to fill pool

Related to Finding Uncertainty of # Cans in Pool

1. How do you calculate the uncertainty of # cans in a pool?

The uncertainty of # cans in a pool can be calculated by taking multiple measurements of the pool and the number of cans in it, and then calculating the standard deviation of these measurements. This will give you a measure of the variability or uncertainty in the number of cans in the pool.

2. Why is it important to determine the uncertainty of # cans in a pool?

Determining the uncertainty of # cans in a pool is important because it allows us to understand the reliability of our measurement. It helps us to know how much our results may vary and how confident we can be in our findings.

3. What factors can influence the uncertainty of # cans in a pool?

Factors that can influence the uncertainty of # cans in a pool include the accuracy of the measuring equipment, the consistency of the person taking the measurements, and any external factors that may affect the number of cans in the pool (such as wind or other disturbances).

4. Can the uncertainty of # cans in a pool be reduced?

Yes, the uncertainty of # cans in a pool can be reduced by taking more measurements and improving the accuracy and consistency of the measurements. It can also be reduced by minimizing any external factors that may affect the number of cans in the pool.

5. How can the uncertainty of # cans in a pool affect the overall results?

The uncertainty of # cans in a pool can affect the overall results by either increasing or decreasing the accuracy and reliability of the findings. A higher uncertainty may indicate a larger margin of error and a lower confidence in the results, while a lower uncertainty may indicate a more precise and reliable measurement.