Finding two numbers in 9's complement arithmetic

In summary, you seem to have difficulty dealing with 9's complement arithmetic and need help understanding how it works.
brian.L

Homework Statement

I have already converted the following numbers 15,765 and -8,773 into 9's complement form. Which gave me the result:

9's Complement of 15,765 = 99,999-84,234 = 84,234
9's Complement of -8,773 = 99,999-(-8,773) = 108,772

Now that I converted the following 5 digit numbers into 9's Complement, am starting to have problems dealing with finding the sum of the two numbers in 9's complement arithmetic and then converting it back into decimal form. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with Sign and magnitude, but can't seem to find a way around this problem.

Homework Equations

No equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution so far is:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
brian.L said:

Homework Statement

I have already converted the following numbers 15,765 and -8,773 into 9's complement form. Which gave me the result:

Now that I converted the following 5 digit numbers into 9's Complement, am starting to have problems dealing with finding the sum of the two numbers in 9's complement arithmetic and then converting it back into decimal form. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with Sign and magnitude, but can't seem to find a way around this problem.

Homework Equations

No equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution so far is:

Why would the 9's complement of +1 be something different than +1 ?

phinds said:
Why would the 9's complement of +1 be something different than +1 ?

What do mean? I'm not clear of what you are trying to point out.

brian.L said:
What do mean? I'm not clear of what you are trying to point out.

What I'm trying to point out is that the 9's complement of 1 is 1. 9's complement is a method for representing negative numbers as though they were positive numbers NOT a method for messing up positive numbers.

Actually, that was a bit brief.

What I really mean is that you seem to misunderstand the both the purpose and the methodology of complementary number systems and I suggest that you read up on them.

WHY would we want to represent a negative number as a positive number ?

HOW do we choose to do it (what's the difference between 9's complement and 10's complement) ?

what are the tradeoffs in implementing a computer with 1's complement vs 2's complement ?

phinds said:
Actually, that was a bit brief.

What I really mean is that you seem to misunderstand the both the purpose and the methodology of complementary number systems and I suggest that you read up on them.

WHY would we want to represent a negative number as a positive number ?

HOW do we choose to do it (what's the difference between 9's complement and 10's complement) ?

what are the tradeoffs in implementing a computer with 1's complement vs 2's complement ?

Sorry, for the late reply. I have just completed the question as well as other questions connected to 9's complement. Can't believe I got stuck on such a simple problem. Turns out a little reading on the topic helped out a lot.

brian.L said:
Sorry, for the late reply. I have just completed the question as well as other questions connected to 9's complement. Can't believe I got stuck on such a simple problem. Turns out a little reading on the topic helped out a lot.

Glad to hear it.

Related to Finding two numbers in 9's complement arithmetic

1. How is 9's complement arithmetic different from regular arithmetic?

9's complement arithmetic is a method of representing numbers in a base-10 system where the complement of a number is determined by subtracting each digit from 9. This is different from regular arithmetic where the complement is determined by subtracting each digit from the base (10 in this case).

2. How do you find the 9's complement of a number?

To find the 9's complement of a number, you can subtract each digit from 9 and add 1 to the result. For example, the 9's complement of 345 is 654 (9-3=6, 9-4=5, 9-5=4).

3. Why is 9's complement arithmetic useful?

9's complement arithmetic is useful in computer systems where subtraction is not directly supported. It allows for efficient addition and subtraction by simply finding the complement of a number and adding it to the other, eliminating the need for a separate subtraction operation.

4. How do you find two numbers in 9's complement arithmetic that add up to a given number?

To find two numbers in 9's complement arithmetic that add up to a given number, you can use the fact that the sum of a number and its complement is always equal to the base (10 in this case). So, you can simply find the complement of one number and add it to the other to get the desired sum.

5. Is 9's complement arithmetic used in any real-world applications?

Yes, 9's complement arithmetic is commonly used in digital electronics and computer systems for efficient addition and subtraction operations. It is also used in checksum calculations for data transmission and error detection.