Finding Triangle Angles with Cosine Rule

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem involving finding angles in a triangle using the cosine law. The speaker is having trouble with the answer for the second angle and asks for help. They eventually find the correct answer by using the inverse functions of cosine and sine, and considering the range of possible values. They also discuss the use of the cosine law again to double check the answer.
odolwa99
For part (i), my answer is correct but my answer for (ii) seems to be a little bit out. I can't spot where I've gone wrong. Can anyone help me out?

Many thanks.

Homework Statement

Q. In the given triangle, find (i) [itex]|\angle abc|[/itex], (ii) [itex]|\angle bac|[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) cos B = [itex]\frac{c^2+a^2-b^2}{2ac}[/itex] => cos B = [itex]\frac{5^2+8^2-6^2}{(2)(8)(5)}[/itex] => cos B = [itex]\frac{53}{80}[/itex] => B = secant 0.6625 => B = [itex]48^o 31'[/itex]

(ii) [itex]\frac{sin48^o 31'}{6} = \frac{sin x}{8}[/itex] => [itex]\frac{0.7491}{6} = \frac{sin x}{8}[/itex] => sin x = (8)(0.1249) => x = cosec 0.9989 => x = [itex]87^o42'[/itex]

Ans.: (From textbook): (i) [itex]48^o 31'[/itex], (ii) [itex]92^o 52'[/itex]

Attachments

• math (2).JPG
    math (2).JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused with cos B = 5380 => B = secant 0.6625
I think you meant arccos? secant is the inverse of cosine, so secant = 1 / cosine
arccos is the inverse function of cosine, so arccos(cos(x)) = xAlso, the answer given is larger than 90 degrees. The range of arcsin is -90 to 90, therefore you have to consider all possible results to include other possible angles.

So arcsin, with range [itex]-90^o[/itex] to [itex]90^o = 180^o[/itex]. Thus, I noticed that [itex]180^o-87^o42'=92^o18'[/itex], which takes me much closer to the intended answer. But am I solving this correctly...?

I don't have a calculator on me, but that small difference might just be a rounding error. Did you use an exact value when you took arcsin, or the rounded 0.9989?

Ok, I've gone back to get the exact answer and [itex]\frac{sin48^o31'}{6}=\frac{sinx}{8}[/itex] becomes [itex]x=87^o16'[/itex]. So, [itex]180^0-87^o16'=92^o44'[/itex]. Thats still a little bit out...is that acceptable?
Also, one other question, what indicator is there to know that I'm meant to subtract [itex]180^0-87^o16'[/itex] and not just use [itex]87^o16'[/itex]

Apply cosine law again to the angle opposite to the side of length 6.

ehild

Related to Finding Triangle Angles with Cosine Rule

What is the Cosine Rule?

The Cosine Rule, also known as the Law of Cosines, is a mathematical formula used to find the length of a side or the measure of an angle in a triangle. It is based on the relationship between the three sides of a triangle and the cosine of one of its angles.

When is the Cosine Rule used?

The Cosine Rule is used when the three sides of a triangle are known, but the measures of the angles are unknown. It is also used when two sides and the included angle are known, but the third side is unknown.

What is the formula for the Cosine Rule?

The formula for the Cosine Rule is c² = a² + b² - 2ab cos(C), where c is the side opposite angle C, and a and b are the other two sides of the triangle.

How do you use the Cosine Rule to find an angle?

To use the Cosine Rule to find an angle, rearrange the formula to cos(C) = (a² + b² - c²) / 2ab. Then, take the inverse cosine of both sides to find the measure of angle C.

What information do you need to use the Cosine Rule?

To use the Cosine Rule, you need to know the measures of at least three sides and/or angles in a triangle. This can include any combination of known sides and angles, as long as they add up to three.