Finding time in a simple harmonic motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of sine and cosine functions in the displacement formula for simple harmonic motion. It is determined that the choice of function depends on the initial conditions and whether the displacement is increasing or decreasing at t=0. The conversation also addresses the use of a phase angle and the relationship between displacement, velocity, and acceleration in SHM.
Janiceleong26

Homework Statement

image.jpg

I seem to have problems finding time in SHM.
To find the time after projection, I know that either x=asinωt or x=acosωt needs to be used, so since R is projected away from O, it means that it is moving towards the equilibrium position, therefore I used x=acosωt to find the time.

Homework Equations

x=asinωt x=acosωt

The Attempt at a Solution

x=acosωt
-L/4 = 3L/4 cos (√2g/L)t
t= (√L/2g) cos-1(-1/3)

But, the correct answer should be
t=(√L/2g) sin-1(1/3)

Why can't cosine be used? Since it is moving towards the equilibrium position?

Also, for the equations x=asin(ωt+α) or x=acos(ωt+α)
I am not sure when is α needed to take into consideration.
So far, I never encountered any questions needing to find α, but I would like to know when is α needed.

Thanks very much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Courtney said:
Drawing a picture always helps.
Yeah I drew a diagram
image.jpg

But I am confused on when to use sine or cosine in the displacement formula..

In choosing sin or cos, do you want the displacement to be a maximum or a minimum at t = 0?
Either to can be converted to the other by including a phase angle of pi / 2.
Here it appears that the displacement is decreasing at t = 0 so it may be that
the cos might be a starting point.

J Hann said:
In choosing sin or cos, do you want the displacement to be a maximum or a minimum at t = 0?
Either to can be converted to the other by including a phase angle of pi / 2.
Sin when displacement is a minimum and cos when displacement is a maximum at t=0.

But when t=0, the displacement is -L/4 which is not the amplitude (3L/4), and since it's moving towards the equilibrium position, why not cos?

Isn't mass m being projected from x = - L / 4.
It appears from the wording that L = constant and that x is the displacement from the new equilibrium position at 5 L / 4.
How did you get 3 L / 4 for the amplitude?

J Hann said:
Isn't mass m being projected from x = - L / 4.
It appears from the wording that L = constant and that x is the displacement from the new equilibrium position at 5 L / 4.
How did you get 3 L / 4 for the amplitude?
Yeah
v22(a2-x2)
x is the displacement down the slope from the new equilibrium position which is at 5L/4 from O,
When x= -L/4, v=√gL
So, gL = 2g/L (a2-(-L/4)2)
∴ a=3L/4

But, if the particle is displaced at x=-L/4, then it is moving towards the equilibrium position, but it seems that cosine can't be used but sine .
Or has the equilibrium position changed to a distance L from O? Is that why it is sine?

Isn't the displacement increasing at t = 0?
Also, it appears that a phase angle is involved since the displacement
is not zero at t = 0.

J Hann said:
Isn't the displacement increasing at t = 0?
Also, it appears that a phase angle is involved since the displacement
is not zero at t = 0.
Sorry, I'm a little confused.. from which point do you define your displacement from? Is it at a distance L or 5L/4 from O?

The problem states that the new equilibrium point is 5 L / 4 and the ring is
moved to distance L so the initial displacement must be (L - 5 L / 4) = - L / 4.
The problem also states that the general position is OR = 5 L / 4 + x which
means that x is the displacement variable and at t = 0, x = - L / 4.
Since the ring is projected away from O, the displacement variable is increasing towards
positive values.
Choosing the sine function fits this description since the sine is also increasing at t = 0.
Note that the speed is also increasing which is described by the cosine function, and the acceleration
in this case would be described by the negative sin function since the restoring force will be
decreasing as the ring moves towards equilibrium at 5 L / 4 as measured from O.
The cosine function can be increasing at t = 0 if the phase angle is negative.
Examining the initial conditions will help in choosing sin or cos to describe the resulting motion.

J Hann said:
The problem states that the new equilibrium point is 5 L / 4 and the ring is
moved to distance L so the initial displacement must be (L - 5 L / 4) = - L / 4.
The problem also states that the general position is OR = 5 L / 4 + x which
means that x is the displacement variable and at t = 0, x = - L / 4.
Since the ring is projected away from O, the displacement variable is increasing towards
positive values.
Choosing the sine function fits this description since the sine is also increasing at t = 0.
Note that the speed is also increasing which is described by the cosine function, and the acceleration
in this case would be described by the negative sin function since the restoring force will be
decreasing as the ring moves towards equilibrium at 5 L / 4 as measured from O.
The cosine function can be increasing at t = 0 if the phase angle is negative.
Examining the initial conditions will help in choosing sin or cos to describe the resulting motion.
Thanks, I've got it

Related to Finding time in a simple harmonic motion

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and is directed towards the equilibrium point.

How do you find the period of a simple harmonic motion?

The period of a simple harmonic motion can be found by dividing the total time for one complete cycle by the number of cycles. It can also be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

What is the relationship between frequency and period in simple harmonic motion?

The frequency of a simple harmonic motion is inversely proportional to the period. This means that as the frequency increases, the period decreases, and vice versa.

How does amplitude affect simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of a simple harmonic motion is the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium point. A larger amplitude results in a higher velocity and acceleration, thus increasing the energy of the system.

What is the role of a restoring force in simple harmonic motion?

The restoring force in a simple harmonic motion is responsible for bringing the object back to its equilibrium point. It is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and is the force that causes the object to oscillate back and forth.