Finding time from a velocity vector

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem where someone has used the equation t=5[distance to island]/(40[velocity relative to water]-6[velocity of water relative to shore]=0.15h) and the question arises about why velocities are being subtracted. The expert explains that this is done to calculate relative velocities and provides an example. It is also clarified that when solving for time, the velocity of the boat relative to the shore should be used, not the water. The meaning of 5.0km [W20.0S] is also questioned but not fully explained.
ericcy
Homework Statement
A jet-ski driver wants to head to an island in the St.Lawrence River that is 5.0km [W20.0S] away. If he is traveling at a speed of 40.0km/h relative to the water and the St.Lawrence is flowing 6.0km/h [E], how long will it take him to reach the island?
Relevant Equations
v=d/t
I've looked it up online and someone did t=40−65=0.15(h)

I was just wondering why they would subtract the velocities. Could something explain this to me please? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably 5.0km [W20.0S] away means 5.0 km away in the direction 20 degrees West of South. Is this correct?

ericcy said:
I've looked it up online and someone did t=40−65=0.15(h)
That's not very helpful, there are no numbers like 40 or 65 in this problem, so I cannot explain what "they" did and why. The idea of subtracting, or more correctly adding the negative of, velocities is what is done to calculate relative velocities. For example, if your velocity relative to still water is 10 km/h East and the water current is 6 km/h West, your velocity relative to the shore is 10 +(-6) = 4 km/ East. It takes you longer to go the same distance between two fixed points on the shore if you are going against the current and shorter with the current. I am not sure if this is a one or two dimensional relative velocity problem. It depends on what 5.0km [W20.0S] means.

kuruman said:
For example, if your velocity relative to still water is 10 km/h East and the water current is 6 km/h West, your velocity relative to the shore is 10 +(-6) = 4 km/ East. It takes you longer to go the same distance between two fixed points on the shore if you are going against the current and shorter with the current. I am not sure if this is a one or two dimensional relative velocity problem. It depends on what 5.0km [W20.0S] means.

If we were to solve for time, like in this question, would we always be expected to use the velocity of the boat relative to the shore and not the water?

And my apologies, the equation pasted in wrong, they did t=5[distance to island]/(40[velocity relative to water]-6[velocity of water relative to shore]=0.15h)

ericcy said:
If we were to solve for time, like in this question, would we always be expected to use the velocity of the boat relative to the shore and not the water?
Yes because the distance is between points fixed on the shore. If a car drives from point A to point B in such a manner as to keep abreast of the boat, their travel times will be the same, no?

You did not explain what 5.0km [W20.0S] means.

Related to Finding time from a velocity vector

1. How do you find time from a velocity vector?

The time can be found by dividing the displacement of an object by its velocity. This can be represented by the formula t = d/v, where t is time, d is displacement, and v is velocity.

2. Can you find time from a velocity vector without knowing the displacement?

No, in order to find time from a velocity vector, you need to know the displacement of the object. Without this information, the time cannot be accurately calculated.

3. What units are used for time and velocity in this calculation?

Time is typically measured in seconds (s) and velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s).

4. Is it possible for time to be negative when finding it from a velocity vector?

Yes, it is possible for time to be negative when finding it from a velocity vector. This can occur when the velocity and displacement have opposite directions, resulting in a negative time value.

5. How does the direction of the velocity vector affect the calculation of time?

The direction of the velocity vector does not affect the calculation of time. Time is only dependent on the magnitude of the velocity and the displacement of the object.