Finding time for a particular position of vertically thrown baseball

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the times when a baseball reaches a height of 8.0 m above the ground after a pitcher throws it straight up. The variables and equations needed for the solution are provided, and the attempt at finding the solution is described. It is noted that there are two possible solutions when solving for the final velocity using Vf2=vi2+2ad, and the correct solution is found for when the ball is coming back down.
Zack K

Homework Statement

A baseball pitcher makes a big mistake and throws the ball straight up. If it reaches a maximum height of 15 m. Find the times when the ball was 8.0 m above the ground.
I already solved the variables needed
Vi= 17 m/s
Time the ball spent in the air= 3.5 s
average velocity= 8.6 m/s
balls velocity when its displacement equals to 8.0= ±12 m/s
a= -9.8 m/s2

Homework Equations

Vf2=vi2+2ad
Vf=Vi+at
d=Vit+½at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to find the first time by finding the balls velocity when its first 8.0 m from the ground by using the equation Vf2=vi2+2ad then plugging that into Vf=Vi+at to get a time of 0.56 s. But I just can't seem to be able to find the time for when the ball comes back down and crosses the 8.0 m mark again.

Physics news on Phys.org
When solving Vf2=vi2+2ad for Vf, you take a square root. But this gives two possible answers.
For example, the two solutions of x2 = 4 are x = 2 and x = -2.

Well the answer is a positive because I was solving it for when the ball was hitting the 8.0 m mark while going up. But it's the coming back down part I have trouble with.

TSny said:
When solving Vf2=vi2+2ad for Vf, you take a square root. But this gives two possible answers.
For example, the two solutions of x2 = 4 are x = 2 and x = -2.
I managed to get the answer. Thanks for helping :)

Related to Finding time for a particular position of vertically thrown baseball

1. How do you calculate the time it takes for a vertically thrown baseball to reach a particular position?

The time it takes for a vertically thrown baseball to reach a particular position can be calculated using the following equation: t = √(2h/g), where h is the height of the position and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. What factors affect the time it takes for a vertically thrown baseball to reach a particular position?

The factors that affect the time it takes for a vertically thrown baseball to reach a particular position include the initial velocity of the throw, the angle of the throw, air resistance, and the height of the starting position.

3. How does air resistance impact the time it takes for a vertically thrown baseball to reach a particular position?

Air resistance can slow down the vertical motion of a thrown baseball, causing it to take longer to reach a particular position. This is because air resistance creates a force that opposes the motion of the baseball.

4. Can you use the same formula to calculate the time for a horizontally thrown baseball to reach a particular position?

No, the formula for calculating the time for a vertically thrown baseball to reach a particular position cannot be used for a horizontally thrown baseball. This is because the acceleration due to gravity only affects the vertical motion of an object.

5. How accurate is the calculated time for a vertically thrown baseball to reach a particular position?

The calculated time for a vertically thrown baseball to reach a particular position is only an estimate and may not be completely accurate. Factors such as air resistance, wind, and the release point of the throw can impact the actual time it takes for the baseball to reach the desired position.