Springs, Pendulums and Centrifical Force

In summary, the variables in physics class include T for period, m for mass, k for spring constant, F for force, x for distance, l for length of rope, g for gravity, a for acceleration, c for a subscript, u for velocity, and f for frequency. These variables are used in formulas such as T= 2 * pi * square root (m/k), F = -Kx, and T = 2 *pi* square root (l/g). In addition, the formula for centrifugal force, Fc = mac, also includes the variables a, c, and m, and the alternative formulas Fc = (mu^2)/r and F
DarkAnt
Physics is my first class so I'm almost never awake. Could someone please tell me what the variables stand for.

Spring: T= 2 * pi * square root (m/k)
What is T, m, k?

Hooke's Law: F = -Kx
What is K, x?

Pendulums: T = 2 *pi* square root (l/g)
What is T, l, g?

Centrifical Force:
Fc = mac
Fc = (mu^2)/r
Fc = m4*pi^2* rf^2
What is Fc, a, c, m, u, f?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by DarkAnt
Physics is my first class so I'm almost never awake. Could someone please tell me what the variables stand for.

Spring: T= 2 * pi * square root (m/k)
What is T, m, k?

Hooke's Law: F = -Kx
What is K, x?

Pendulums: T = 2 *pi* square root (l/g)
What is T, l, g?

Centrifical Force:
Fc = mac
Fc = (mu^2)/r
Fc = m4*pi^2* rf^2
What is Fc, a, c, m, u, f?

wow, you really don't pay attention :D

T = period
m = mass
k = spring constant
K = spring constant
x = distance (I always write d instead of x)
T = period
l = length of rope
g = gravity
Fc = centripetal force
a = acceleration
c = nothing, teach probably wrote it as a subscript
m = mass
u = he actually wrote a v, not a u. it's supposed to be [tex]v^2[/tex]. it means velocity

I don't know what f is though. I would think it means frequency but I can't be certain of that.

Thank you!

Yea, I really have trouble paying attention first period, I'm not a morning person.

Thanks

1. What is a spring and how does it work?

A spring is a flexible material that can be stretched or compressed. It works by storing potential energy when it is stretched or compressed and releases this energy when it returns to its original shape. This allows it to oscillate back and forth.

2. How does a pendulum work?

A pendulum is a weight or object suspended from a fixed point that can swing back and forth. It works by converting gravitational potential energy into kinetic energy as it swings. The length of the pendulum affects its period, or the time it takes to complete one swing.

3. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's velocity and prevent it from flying off in a straight line.

4. How is centrifugal force related to centripetal force?

Centrifugal force is often described as the "opposite" of centripetal force. However, it is not a true force, but rather an apparent force that arises due to an object's inertia and the change in direction of its velocity. In other words, when an object is moving in a circular path, it appears to be pushed outward, but in reality, it is just trying to maintain its straight-line motion.

5. How are springs, pendulums, and centrifugal force used in everyday life?

Springs are used in a variety of everyday objects such as mattresses, trampolines, and car suspensions. Pendulums can be found in grandfather clocks and amusement park rides. Centrifugal force is used in washing machines and centrifuges for separating substances. Additionally, these concepts are important in understanding the behavior of objects in motion and are essential in many areas of engineering and science.