Finding theta of a charged pendulum

In summary, there is a small spherical insulator with a mass of 6.00×10−2 kg and a charge of +0.400 μC, which is hung by a thin wire. A second charge of -0.220 μC is held 0.290 m away from the sphere and directly to the right of it, creating an angle θ with the vertical. The problem asks for the value of θ, given that k=1/4πϵ0=8.99×109 N · m2/C2 and F = kq1q2/d^2. After some calculations, it is determined that the force acting on the mass is -0.941 N. Using inverse tangent
whitejac

Homework Statement

a small spherical insulator of mass 6.00×10−2 kg and charge +0.400 μC is hung by a thin wire of negligible mass. A charge of −0.220 μC is held 0.290 m away from the sphere and directly to the right of it, so the wire makes an angle theta with the vertical. What is the angle θ (k=1/4πϵ0=8.99×109 N · m2/C2)

Homework Equations

F = k q1q2/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I can find the force acting on the mass. That's easy:
Plugging in I get (8.99x10^9)(0.4x10^-12)(-2.2x10^-12) / (0.29 * 0.29)
Which equals: (-7.9112 x 10^-15) / 0.0841
Which equals: (-9.41 x 10^-14)N

I cannot, however, figure out how to correlate this force to an act of motion. I could see it pulling laterally (the y component being negligable?) but how it could do them both with this stage of math because the string should theoretically be fixed in length and thus pull as an arc instea of a straight line, however I believe they are asking for a straight line.

Physics news on Phys.org
**Edit, I mistook the prefixes. It should be 10^-6, not 10^-12. The resulting force should be -0.941N, much larger.

I think the system looks like the figure below. The pendulum charge sits at rest at angle θ with the other point charge located horizontally to the right.

Attachments

• Pend charge.png
    Pend charge.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 545
Yes, i believe it does look like that.
So then, I could find theta by using inverse cosine on the resulting force, which would give me the angle to the lower right of that triangle, and 90-ans would give me theta?

whitejac said:
Yes, i believe it does look like that.
So then, I could find theta by using inverse cosine on the resulting force, which would give me the angle to the lower right of that triangle, ...
I'm not sure. Can you show in more detail what you mean here?

I guess what I mean is:
Theta = 90 - arcos(-0.941)?
The force pulls it away along the x axis, so to the left of the pendulum would create an angle of arccos(-0.941) and with the triangle being a right triangle then the only thing we'd need to conclude the theta would be to subtract that answer from 90 degrees.

I don't get 0.941 N for the electric force if I use 0.400 μC and 0.220 μC. It appears to me that your decimal point is in the wrong place in your answer.

More important, what is the justification for taking the inverse cosine of the force? Whenever you take the inverse cosine of a number, the number should be dimensionless.

I recommend that you draw a free body diagram for the pendulum charge and use what you know about the sum of the forces acting on an object that remains at rest.

I cannot recall what my justification for using inverse cosine was, but I simply must thank you for your assistance. I was looking at this problem as more complicated than it had to be. When I did the force body diagram like you said, I saw what the situation really was. the string was an equal and opposite Fx Fy force. Theta is equal to inverse tangent of Fy/Fx. So I was able to solve this problem once I reviewed my vector algebra and got the trigonometry worked out.

OK. Good work!

Related to Finding theta of a charged pendulum

What is a charged pendulum?

A charged pendulum is a pendulum that has an electric charge and can be influenced by electric fields.

How do you find the angle (theta) of a charged pendulum?

The angle of a charged pendulum can be found by using the equation: theta = arc sin (qE/mg), where q is the charge of the pendulum, E is the strength of the electric field, m is the mass of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What factors can affect the angle of a charged pendulum?

The angle of a charged pendulum can be affected by the charge of the pendulum, the strength of the electric field, the mass of the pendulum, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also play a role.

Can the angle of a charged pendulum be negative?

Yes, the angle of a charged pendulum can be negative. This can happen if the electric field and the gravitational force are acting in opposite directions, causing the pendulum to swing in the opposite direction.

What is the significance of finding the angle of a charged pendulum?

Finding the angle of a charged pendulum can help us understand the relationship between electric fields and pendulum motion. It can also have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.