Finding the Work of a Damped Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, we are trying to find the work done by a harmonic oscillator when it moves from x_{0} = 0 m to x_{max} = 1 m. The oscillator has initial velocity v_{0}, a maximum height of x_{max} = 1 m, initial height of x_{0} = 0 m, a spring constant of k, a mass of m = 1 kg, and a damping factor of b. The differential equation for the oscillator can be represented as m x'' + b x' + k x = 0 and solving for x(t) results in the equation x = A e^{-\gamma t} sin(\omega_1 t), where \gamma = b / (
dimensionless
I'm trying to find the work done by a harmonic oscillator when it moves from [tex]x_{0} = 0 m[/tex] to [tex]x_{max} = 1 m[/tex].
The oscillator has initial velocity [tex]v_{0}[/tex], a maximum height of [tex]x_{max} = 1 m[/tex], initial height of [tex]x_{0} = 0 m[/tex], a spring constant of [tex]k[/tex], a mass of [tex]m = 1 kg[/tex], and a damping factor of [tex]b[/tex].

It can be represented by the following differential equation:
[tex]m x'' + b x' + k x = 0 [/tex]

Solving for [tex]x(t)[/tex] will result in this equation:
[tex]x = A e^{-\gamma t} sin(\omega_1 t) [/tex]

where [tex]\gamma = b / (2 m ) = b / 2 [/tex]
and [tex]\omega_1 = ( \omega_0^2 + \gamma^2 )^{1/2} [/tex]
and [tex]\omega_0 = ( k / m )^{1/2}[/tex]

I think that the potential energy at [tex]x_{max} = 1 m[/tex] will equal the initial kinetic energy minus the work required to move the mass to the peak. Work, in general is
[tex]W = \int F dx[/tex]
I have a spring force [tex]F_{spring} = - k x[/tex], but I also have a damping force [tex]F_{damping} = - b \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]. I tried working out [tex]W = \int ( -kx - b\frac{dx}{dt} ) dx[/tex] but it didn't seem to add up right.

Any ideas on how I can solve [tex]x_{max} = A e^{-\gamma t} = 1 m[/tex] in terms of the initial velocity that will be required to get it there?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dimensionless said:
I think that the potential energy at [tex]x_{max} = 1 m[/tex] will equal the initial kinetic energy minus the work required to move the mass to the peak.

Correct. The easy way to do the question is to use that fact, not to integrate [tex]W = \int F dx[/tex]

... I have a spring force [tex]F_{spring} = - k x[/tex], but I also have a damping force [tex]F_{damping} = - b \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]. I tried working out [tex]W = \int ( -kx - b\frac{dx}{dt} ) dx[/tex] but it didn't seem to add up right.

The spring force doesn't do any work outside the system, because the point outside the system where the spring is attached doesn't move.

Any ideas on how I can solve [tex]x_{max} = A e^{-\gamma t} = 1 m[/tex] in terms of the initial velocity that will be required to get it there?

The same way as you find the max and min of any function - find when the derivative of [tex]x = A e^{-\gamma t} sin(\omega_1 t) [/tex]
is zero.

NB The way you asked the question seems to assume the maximum occurs when [tex]sin(\omega_1 t) = 1[/tex]. That assumption is not correct.

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
Correct. The easy way to do the question is to use that fact, not to integrate [tex]W = \int F dx[/tex]

The spring force doesn't do any work outside the system, because the point outside the system where the spring is attached doesn't move.
The same way as you find the max and min of any function - find when the derivative of [tex]x = A e^{-\gamma t} sin(\omega_1 t) [/tex]
is zero.

Ah! I have an equation for position and another for velocity. That sounds like a much better approach.

NB The way you asked the question seems to assume the maximum occurs when [tex]sin(\omega_1 t) = 1[/tex]. That assumption is not correct.

It is assumed :smile:...Are saying that the maximum might occur before that?

Last edited:
dimensionless said:
It is assumed :smile:...Are saying that the maximum might occur before that?
Re-read AlephZero's post above. I am assuming you have taken Calc.101 and know that finding the first derivative of a function and setting it to zero gives you the points of the local extrema (i.e min/max). Note, that you should differentiate the whole function as AlephZero suggests, i.e.;

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left[A e^{-\gamma t} sin(\omega_1 t)\right] :=0[/tex]

Last edited:
If your equations for position and velocity are consistent, then the velocity equation IS the derivative of the position equation :smile:

Sure, sometimes people use the approximations that the maximum occurs at time pi/w_1, and w_1 = w_0, and when the damping is small they are pretty good approximations. But you didn't say the damping was small.

Plot exp(-bt)sin(t) for some different values of b (e.g. b = 0, 0.1, 0.5) to see how bad the approximation gets for high levels of damping.

Related to Finding the Work of a Damped Harmonic Oscillator

1. What is a damped harmonic oscillator?

A damped harmonic oscillator is a type of system that exhibits both oscillatory and damping behavior. It consists of a mass attached to a spring and moving in a fluid or resisting medium, which causes the oscillations to decrease over time.

2. How is the work of a damped harmonic oscillator calculated?

The work of a damped harmonic oscillator is calculated by integrating the force function over the displacement. This can be done using the equation W = (1/2)kx2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement.

3. What are the applications of damped harmonic oscillators?

Damped harmonic oscillators have many practical applications, such as in shock absorbers, musical instruments, and electrical circuits. They are also used in modeling systems in physics, engineering, and biology.

4. How does the damping coefficient affect the work of a damped harmonic oscillator?

The damping coefficient determines the rate at which the oscillations of a damped harmonic oscillator decrease. A higher damping coefficient results in a larger amount of work being done to overcome the damping force, leading to a decrease in the amplitude of the oscillations.

5. How can the work of a damped harmonic oscillator be increased?

The work of a damped harmonic oscillator can be increased by increasing the amplitude of the oscillations or decreasing the damping coefficient. Additionally, increasing the frequency of the oscillations can also result in a higher work output.